Japan-El Salvador Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
May 23, 2016
On Monday, May 23 commencing at 11:30 a.m. for approximately 40 minutes, Mr. Fumio Kishida, Minister for Foreign Affairs, met with H. E. Mr. Hugo Martínez, Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Republic of El Salvador, who is currently visting Japan. The overview of the meeting is as follows.
1. Bilateral relations
(1) Minister Kishida expressed gratitude to Minister Martínez for his cooperation on the friendship visit by Her Imperial Highness Princess Mako of Akishino last year to El Salvador as her first official visit to celebrate "Japan-SICA Friendship Year" on the occasion of the 80th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations.
(2) Minister Martínez voiced appreciation for Japan’s role in cooperation between the two countries, including in areas of climate change and disaster prevention. He stated that Japan and El Salvador have an alliance relationship and that El Salvador continues to support Japan contributing to global peace.
(3) The two ministers agreed to continue their cooperation in the international arena, which include disarmament and non-proliferation, Security Council reforms and human rights.
2. Japan-Central America Relations
(1) Minister Kishida offered praise for El Salvador’s central role in promoting the integration within Central America and fostering cooperation between Japan and SICA countries. He explained that Japan is implementing regional cooperation that benefits the entire Central American countries through technical cooperation in areas incuding disaster prevention, mathematics education, and healthcare that support regional integration.
(2) Minister Martínez appreciated the Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers active in El Salvador and expressed expectations for promotion of exchanges involving young people and science and culture that contribute to integration. In response, Minister Kishida explained that Japan has invited 100 people from Latin America, including 34 people from SICA countries, to visit Japan this year as part of people exchanges and intends to expand this invitation program.