Convening the 13th ODA Evaluation Workshop
November 26, 2015
1. On December 9 and 10, 2015, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan will hold the 13th ODA Evaluation Workshop with the cooperation of the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and the Japan Evaluation Society (JES) in Tokyo, Japan.
2. The 13th ODA Evaluation Workshop, which started its 1st ODA Evaluation Workshop in 2001, will be convened as a part of an event of the International Year of Evaluation (EvalYear) this year. The participants are government officials or experts in the international development or evaluation field from Asian and Pacific countries and international organizations.
3. The Chairman of this Workshop is Professor Ryokichi Hirono, Professor Emeritus at Seikei University/ former President of Asia-Pacific Evaluation Association (APEA).
Active discussions on agendas including efforts to establish better feedback mechanism in development, and evaluation of environmental and climate change projects are planned.
4. This Workshop aims to build evaluation capacities of participating countries to formulate and implement efficient development policies, and to form an evaluation network between the countries and the international organizations.
- Agenda 1: Efforts to establish better feedback mechanism in development cooperation
- Agenda 2: Development and improvement of evaluation capacities, and partner country’s ownerships for evaluation
- Agenda 3: Impact evaluation for evidence-based policy making
- Agenda 4: Evaluation of environmental and climate change projects
- Agenda 5: New topics for evaluation to achieve SDGs
[Reference] International Year of Evaluation
The International Conference on National Evaluation Capacities held in September 2013 declared to designate 2015 as the International Year of Evaluation (EvalYear). Since 2015 is the year when a new development agenda, the “Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)” is to be adopted, the aim of EvalYear is to advocate and promote evaluation and evidence-based policy-making at a variety of levels, including the regional and national levels. Many events are scheduled to be held globally throughout 2015. Regarding the SDGs, the new Goals have been adopted at the General Assembly of the United Nations as part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.