Local Elections in Ukraine
(Statement by Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida)
October 29, 2015
1. The Government of Japan appreciates that local elections in Ukraine on October 25 were held in a generally peaceful manner.
2. International Election Observation Missions such as the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) / the Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) EOM announced that the elections were well organized overall, and that the voting and counting processes were transparent and orderly.
3. We have also received positive reports from the 10 election observers dispatched by the Government of Japan to support the fair implementation of the elections.
4. The Government of Japan considers that the elections in the Cities of Mariupol and Krasnoarmiisk, which were postponed due to defects such as in the ballot papers, should be held soon and in a fair manner.
5. For the further implementation of the Minsk agreements, it is important that fair and democratic elections be held on the basis of the laws of Ukraine also in the non-government-controlled areas of two eastern oblasts, and the Government of Japan expects the efforts to be made for that purpose by all concerned parties. The Government of Japan will continue its assistance for Ukraine towards peace and stability in the country.