The 59th General Conference of the International Atomic Energy Agency to be held in Vienna
September 11, 2015
1. The 59th General Conference of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) will be held from September 14 to 18 in Vienna.
2. Mr. Yoshiaki OKA, Chairman of Japan Atomic Energy Commission, and Mr. Mitsuru KITANO, Permanent Representative and Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Japan to the International Organizations in Vienna, will attend the General Conference as representatives of the Government of Japan. Members of the Cabinet Office; the Ministry of Foreign Affairs; the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology; the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; Nuclear Regulation Authority will also participate as alternates.
3. In the General Conference, the representatives of each government of the Member States will make statements and discuss the peaceful uses of nuclear energy, technical cooperation, nuclear safety, nuclear security, strengthening the safeguards system and its efficiency, the issue of application of safeguards in North Korea and other issues.
(Reference) IAEA(International Atomic Energy Agency)
1. The IAEA is an international organization (164 Member States – as of September 2015) which was established in July 1957 for the purpose of promoting the peaceful uses of nuclear energy and application of safeguards to prevent the diversion of nuclear energy for military use.
2. Safeguards are applied based on safeguards agreements between the IAEA and countries concerned in order to verify that nuclear energy is not diverted from peaceful to military purposes.
3. Director General Amano assumed his office in December 2009. The IAEA General Conference approved re-appointment of Director General Amano for another term in September 2013, and he is in the second term.