Announcement of the Joint Monitoring Committee of the TICAD Process
March 12, 2014
1. The Joint Monitoring Committee of the TICAD Process will be held on March 14 at JICA Research Institute. The Committee will be chaired by Amb. Yoshifumi Okamura, Director-General for African Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and will be attended by representatives of the ministries concerned, government agencies, TICAD co-organizers (the African Union Commission (AUC), the United Nations, the United Nations Development Program, and the World Bank), the Permanent Representatives Committee of the African Union (PRC), African Diplomatic Corps, New Partnership for Africa's Development（NEPAD）, international organizations and the donor countries.
2. The Joint Monitoring Committee is designed to serve as a venue to ensure a more effective monitoring and follow-up of the TICAD process by the Yokohama Action Plan 2013-2017. At the Committee, preparation for the first TICADV Ministerial Meeting and outcome documents will be discussed among the participants.
References TICAD Follow-up Mechanism
1. Yokohama Action Plan 2013-2017 sets forth the Three-Tier structure of the Follow-up Mechanism established as follows:
(1) Joint Secretariat: MOFA Japan, African Union Commission, UNOSAA, UNDP and World Bank;
(2) Joint Monitoring Committee composed of Japanese Government and related governmental Organizations, TICAD Co-organizers, Permanent Representatives Committee of the African Union (PRC), African Diplomatic Corps in Tokyo (ADC) and NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency, International Organizations and donor countries
(3) Follow-up Meetings
・Annual Senior Officials Meeting
・Annual Ministerial Meeting
・Summit (Every five years)
2. Dialogues between MOFA Japan and the African Diplomatic Corps in Tokyo (ADC) on the TICAD are held regularly.