The Tenth Asian Senior-level Talks on Non-Proliferation (ASTOP-X)
November 19, 2013
1. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will host the Tenth Asian Senior-level Talks on Non-Proliferation (ASTOP-X) on November 20 (Wed.) at the Mita Kaigisho in Tokyo.
2. ASEAN member states, China, the Republic of Korea and countries with a common interest in the security of the Asian region such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States will be represented among the convening senior government officials in charge of non-proliferation policies.
Various issues related to the strengthening of the non-proliferation apparatus in Asia will be discussed during the Talks to deepen the level of understanding among countries of their desired non-proliferation implementation measures, the obstacles they would face and solutions to such obstacles.
3. ASTOP-X will cover the following topics:
(1) Regional non-proliferation issue
(2) Universalization of Additional Protocol and Strengthening the effectiveness of the IAEA Safeguards system
(3) Export Control and Counter-Proliferation Measures
(4) Nuclear Security
(Note) Past meetings of the Asian Senior-level Talks on Non-Proliferation (ASTOP)
First Meeting (Tokyo) November 13, 2003 Second Meeting (Tokyo) February 9, 2005 Third Meeting (Tokyo) February 13, 2006 Fourth Meeting (Tokyo) January 25-26, 2007 Fifth Meeting (Tokyo) April 25, 2008 Sixth Meeting (Tokyo) December 11, 2009 Seventh Meeting (Tokyo) January 17, 2011 Seventh Meeting (Tokyo) January 17, 2011 Eighth Meeting (Tokyo) December 1, 2011 Ninth Meeting (Tokyo) March 14, 2013