Signing of the Protocol Amending the Special Measures Agreement (SMA)
February 24, 2021
- Since 1987, Japan has borne part of the costs, which the United States is obliged to bear under the provision of Article XXIV of the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA), by concluding SMAs as special measures relating to the SOFA, noting situations involving both countries, and with a view to ensuring the effective operations of U.S. Forces in Japan (USFJ).
- The Government of Japan (GOJ) and the Government of the United States of America (USG) have been continuing discussions in light of the fact that the current SMA remains in force until March 31, 2021. As a result, H.E. Mr. Toshimitsu Motegi, Minister for Foreign Affairs, and Mr. Joseph M. Young, Charge d'Affaires ad interim, Embassy of the United States of America in Japan, signed the Protocol Amending the SMA on February 24 in Tokyo.
2 Outline of Japan's contribution under the Protocol
- Effective Period: Extend the current SMA, which entered into force on April 1, 2016 by one year (until JFY 2021)
- Labor Costs: The upper limit of the number of workers funded by the GOJ will remain unchanged at 23, 178.
- Utilities Costs: The percentage of the annual utilities costs funded by the GOJ will remain unchanged at 61%. The upper limit of the annual utilities costs funded by the GOJ will remain unchanged at approximately JPY 24.9 billion.
- Training Relocation Costs: Remain unchanged.
3 Significance of Concluding the new ProtocolAs the security environment surrounding Japan is becoming increasingly severe, Host Nation Support by Japan under the SMA plays a vital role in sustaining a stable presence of USFJ as well as maintaining and strengthening the Japan-US alliance.
- Protocol Amending the Agreement Between Japan and the United States of America Concerning New Special Measures Relating to Article XXIV of the Agreement Under Article VI of the Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security Between Japan and the United States of America, Regarding Facilities and Areas and the Status of United States Armed Forces in Japan, Signed at Tokyo on February 24, 2021 (Japanese(PDF) / English(PDF))
- Notes (Japanese(PDF) / English(PDF))