Japan-Bangladesh Foreign Ministers’ Telephone Talk
July 2, 2016
On July 2, commencing at 3:25 p.m. for 15 minutes, Mr. Fumio Kishida, Minister for Foreign Affairs, held a telephone talk with H.E. Mr. Abul Hassan Mahmood Ali, Foreign Minister of Bangladesh. The overview of the meeting is as follows.
1 Minister Kishida made the following statements.
- Following the Summit Telephone Talk held earlier, I would also like to make a statement directly to Foreign Minister Ali. We understand that the operation was carried out with the consideration to protect human lives, however, it is regrettable that fatalities have occurred. Regarding the one Japanese national rescued already, we appreciate the response and the provision of information from Bangladesh. We request Bangladesh for the maximum support, including medical treatment and repatriation.
- We also request Bangladesh to provide information about the facts on the ground, including the safety of the other seven Japanese people. I expect Bangladesh authorities and the Embassy of Japan to work together to confirm the identity of the victims. We will dispatch State Minister for Foreign Affairs Seiji Kihara and the Counter Terrorism Unit - Japan to respond to the incident, and we would like to obtain maximum support and cooperation.
- A large number of Japanese people reside in Bangladesh. We request Bangladesh to continue to take every possible measure to ensure the safety of the Japanese people.
- Japan strongly condemns this kind of inhumane and despicable act, which could never be justified for any reason. In this time of difficulty, Japan would like to have solidarity with Bangladesh. Japan will continue to cooperate with the international community, and will provide maximum support for the response of the Government of Bangladesh.
- We are determined to provide maximum support for the response to this incident. We will also provide maximum cooperation to State Minister Kihara and the Counter Terrorism Unit - Japan.
- I will hold a briefing in a few hours and will clarify the overall picture as much as possible.
- We are strengthening safety measures to prevent attacks on minorities, including the arrests of several thousands of people. We will make utmost efforts to take every possible measure to ensure the safety of the Japanese people.