Statement by Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida on the final agreement (Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action)between the EU3+3 and the Islamic Republic of Iran on the Iranian nuclear issue
July 14, 2015
1. On 14 July, in Vienna, Ms. Federica Mogherini, the High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs, Security Policy and Dr. Mohammad Javad Zarif, Foreign Minister of Islamic Republic of Iran announced conclusion of the final agreement (JCPOA: Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action)concerning the Iranian nuclear issue.
2. The Government of Japan highly appreciates strenuous efforts made by all negotiating parties towards resolution of the Iranian nuclear issue. Japan welcomes the JCPOA as it will strengthen the international non-proliferation regime and lead to the stability of the Middle East region. Japan strongly expects that the JCPOA will be steadily implemented.
3. In addition, the Government of Japan highly appreciates the role which the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has been playing in the field of the Iranian nuclear issue, and will continue to support the role of the IAEA which will become more significant in areas such as verification and inspections related to the JCPOA.
4. The Government of Japan has been encouraging Iran to demonstrate flexibility towards resolution of the nuclear issue in close coordination with the international community. Japan has been making its own contribution including by conveying that Japan strongly expects Iran to resolve the nuclear issue and play a constructive role towards the stability of the Middle East region, and that this will lead to further strengthening of the historically friendly relationship between Japan and Iran, during Foreign Ministerial meetings with Foreign Minister Zarif, which took place four times.
5. The Government of Japan will continue to play an active role in the implementation process of the JCPOA by taking measures such as encouraging Iran to implement it sincerely in coordination with the international community, also, and will contribute to the strengthening of the international non-proliferation regime as well as the peace and stability of the Middle East region.