9th ASEAN-Japan Counter-Terrorism Dialogue
May 27, 2014
- 1. The 9th ASEAN-Japan Counter-Terrorism Dialogue will be held on Thursday, May 29 and Friday, May 30 in Singapore.
- 2. The 9th Dialogue will be co-chaired by H.E. Mr. Toshio Kunikata, Ambassador in charge of International Cooperation for Countering Terrorism and International Organized Crime, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan; and Mr. Benny Oon, Senior Director, International Cooperation and Partnerships Division, Ministry of Home Affairs, Republic of Singapore. Officials from Japan, all ASEAN Member States and the ASEAN Secretariat will be present as well.
- 3. This Dialogue follows the agreement at the ASEAN-Japan Summit Meeting held in December 2005, and has been held annually since 2006. It has been a forum to exchange views on the current affairs related to terrorism and under the past Dialogues, various projects which contribute to the region-wide counter-terrorism measures have been implemented through the funding provided by the Japan-ASEAN Integration Fund (JAIF). The forthcoming Dialogue will cover future direction of formulation of new projects which will be funded by the Japan-ASEAN Integration Fund (JAIF) 2.0 announced by Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at the ASEAN-Japan Commemorative Summit in December last year in Tokyo as well.
- 4. The Dialogue is considered to be an important framework to strengthen counter-terrorism cooperation in the ASEAN region, in preparation for building the ASEAN Community in 2015.
- Note: The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th Dialogues were held in June 2006 in Tokyo; September 2007 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; October 2008 in Luang Prabang, Lao PDR; August 2009 in Nha Trang, Vietnam; June 2010 in Bali, Indonesia; February 2011 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia; July 2012 in Cebu, Philippines and May 2013 in Bangkok, Thailand respectively.