Visit of Mr. Yutaka Iimura, Special Representative of the Government of Japan to the Arab Republic of Egypt
April 17, 2014
1. Given the current situation of Egypt, Mr.Yutaka Iimura, Special Representative of the Government of Japan, visited Egypt from April 15th to 17th and met Mr.Nabil Fahmi, Foreign Minister of Egypt, Dr.Nabil El-Araby, the Secretary General of the League of Arab States, and others.
2. In the meeting between Mr.Iimura and Foreign Minister Mr.Fahmi,
(1) Mr.Iimura conveyed the following points.
(a) Japan watches closely the progress of roadmap towards the normalization of political situation in Egypt and hopes the coming presidential election will be conducted properly.
(b) While Japan is well aware of the efforts of the interim government for maintaining security and public order, Japan expects that issues such as human rights would be dealt with properly.
(c) Japan hopes to further strengthen the cooperative relations with Egypt. Japan will continue to extend assistance to Egypt for democratization and socio-economic stability.
(d) Japan hopes that socio-economic stability in Egypt will lead to further development of the bilateral relations such as investments from Japan.
(2) Both also exchanged views extensively on the Middle East Peace Process and regional situations.
3. Mr.Iimura also exchanged views with Marshal El-Sisi, former Defense Minister, and Mr. Sabbahi, President of People Current Movement, who have both announced their intention for the candidacy to the presidential election, and other Egyptian Intellectuals.