Notification for the Entry into Force of the Japan-Turkey Nuclear Cooperation Agreement
May 30, 2014
- 1. On May 30, the notification from the Government of Japan for the entry into force of the “Agreement between the Government of Japan and the Government of the Republic of Turkey for Co-operation in the Use of Nuclear Energy for Peaceful Purposes” was made, and was received by the Government of Turkey on the same day. The notification by the Government of Turkey was received by the Government of Japan on May 2, 2014. Accordingly, pursuant to the provisions of this Agreement (paragraph 1 of Article 15), this Agreement will enter into force on June 29, the 30th day after the date of receipt of the notification from the Government of Japan, which was the latter notification. This Agreement was signed by the Japanese side at Tokyo on April 26, 2013, and by the Turkish side at Ankara on May 3, 2013, and was approved in the Japanese Diet on April 18, 2014.
This Agreement provides the necessary legal framework for the realization of cooperation between Japan and Turkey in the field of the peaceful uses of nuclear energy, and the following is set forth therein:
- (1) Use of nuclear material etc. only for peaceful purposes;
- (2) Application of the safeguards of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to nuclear material (inspections etc.);
- (3) Implementation of measures based on nuclear safety-related conventions;
- (4) Application of measures for proper physical protection of nuclear material;
- (5) Restriction on the transfer of nuclear material and nuclear-related material, equipment and technology beyond the jurisdiction of Japan and Turkey (third country transfer);
- (6) Restriction on enrichment and reprocessing of nuclear materials in Turkey that are subject to this Agreement; and
- (7) Restriction on the transfer of enrichment and reprocessing technologies etc. to the other Party.
- 3. Japan attaches importance to “the three Ss” of Safeguards, Safety and Security in the peaceful uses of nuclear energy, and is engaged in strengthening international frameworks in these areas. The conclusion of this Agreement legally ensures peaceful uses and non-proliferation in conducting nuclear energy cooperation between Japan and Turkey in a broad range of fields, and establishes a framework contributing to the strengthening of “the three Ss” .