Courtesy Call on H.E. Mr. Surangel S. WHIPPS, Jr., President of the Republic of Palau by Minister for Foreign Affairs Hayashi
June 14, 2023
On June 14, commencing at 4:30 p.m. for approximately 30 minutes, Mr. HAYASHI Yoshimasa, Minister for Foreign Affairs paid a courtesy call on H.E. Mr. Surangel S. WHIPPS, Jr., President of the Republic of Palau. The overview is as follows.
- At the outset, Minister Hayashi expressed his appreciation to President Whipps for visiting Fukushima and for Palau's understanding and trust in Japan's sincere response to the ALPS treated water. In response, President Whipps stated that he was pleased to visit Japan again and that his trust in Japan in ensuring the safety of marine products and the safety of ALPS treated water was further enhanced by his visit to Fukushima.
- Minister Hayashi also stated that, after concurring on the importance of intensive dialogue on ALPS treated water with the PIF delegation in February, Japan has been steadily implementing the dialogue, at the political level and expert level. President Whipps expressed his appreciation for those Japan’s efforts by Japan.
- They also agreed on the importance of revitalizing people-to-people exchanges between Japan and Palau, and Minister Hayashi stated that the Government of Japan was working on the provision of airport-related equipment as part of cooperation for the reinstatement of direct flights between the two countries, and President Whipps expressed his appreciation and expectation for an early resumption of direct flights.
- They confirmed that both countries would cooperate closely in preparation for this year's PALM Interim Ministerial Meeting and next year's 10th Pacific Islands Leaders Meeting (PALM 10).
- Furthermore, they confirmed that they would work together to realize a "Free and Open Indo-Pacific (FOIP)" and that the two countries would continue to cooperate in responding to Russia's aggression against Ukraine and the regional situation, including China and North Korea.