Japan-Maldives Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
May 16, 2023
On May 16, commencing at 5:00 p.m., for approximately 45 minutes, Mr. HAYASHI Yoshimasa, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, held a meeting with H.E. Abdulla Shahid, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Maldives, who is visiting Japan. The overview of the meeting is as follows.
- At the outset, Minister Hayashi welcomed Minister Shahid's visit to Japan and expressed his gratitude for the progresses made in the bilateral relations during last year, which marked the 55th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations. In response, Minister Shahid expressed his hope to continue to strengthen cooperation with Japan, a friend of the Maldives.
- Minister Hayashi explained the new plan for a “Free and Open Indo-Pacific (FOIP)”, which was announced in March. The two ministers concurred to further promote cooperation between their two nations in maintaining and strengtherning a free and open international order based on the rule of law, as the two nation share values.
- Minister Hayashi stated that Japan would like to further strengthen cooperation with the Maldives in a wide range of areas including maritime safety and security. In response, Minister Shahid expressed his appreciation for Japan's economic cooperation with the Maldives in various areas such as disaster prevention and education.
- Minister Hayashi explained Japan’s vision regarding the G7 Hiroshima Summit. The two ministers also exchanged views on regional situations such as Ukraine and North Korea.
- The two ministers agreed to continue to work more closely together to strengthen the bilateral relations in a comprehensive manner.