Presidential Election in the Republic of Sierra Leone
(Statement by Foreign Press Secretary Norio Maruyama)
April 19, 2018
- The Government of Japan congratulates Mr. Julius Maada Bio of the Sierra Leone People’s Party on his election at the peaceful presidential runoff which was held on March 31st (local time) and his inauguration as President of the Republic of Sierra Leone.
- Japan expects that under the leadership of the new President, the Government of Sierra Leone will further advance social and economic development in the country and will make further contributions to peace and stability in Africa, particularly in the West Africa.
- Japan will continue to work to further enhance friendly and cooperative relations with Sierra Leone.
(1) March 7 (local time, same hereafter): First round of voting.
(2) March 13: Mr. Julius Maada Bio of the Sierra Leone People’s Party (43.33%) and Mr. Samura Kamara of the All People’s Congress (42.7%) are the two candidates receiving the largest number of votes, but as presidential election rules stipulate that a candidate is required to secure 55% of the vote, it is determined that a run-off election will be held.
(3) March 31: The run-off presidential election is held and is won by Mr. Bio (51.81%).
(4) April 4 (late evening): In accordance with the rules for presidential elections, Mr. Bio takes the oath of office and is sworn in as President of the Republic of Sierra Leone.