The Second Asian Senior-Level Talks on Non-Proliferation (ASTOP)
February 3, 2005
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) will host the Second Asian Senior-Level Talks on Non-Proliferation (ASTOP) in Tokyo (in the main international conference room in the south wing of MOFA) on Wednesday, February 9, 2005.
- This meeting will be attended by officials in charge of non-proliferation policies (Director-General level) from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) countries, Australia, China, Republic of Korea (ROK), United States (US) and Japan, and will be chaired by Ambassador Yukiya Amano, Director-General for Disarmament, Non-Proliferation and Science.
- The officials in charge of non-proliferation policies in Asia, including those of the ASEAN countries and countries that have strong interest over the region's security, will gather at this meeting to deepen their understanding on various issues related to the enhancement of the non-proliferation regime in Asia and to exchange views on the direction of their cooperation under the recognition that the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction (WMD) and missiles together with their related materials and technology has become an actual threat to peace and stability of the Asian region and the international community.
- In particular, the agenda for this meeting is as follows:
- Make an overview of the recent trend in the proliferation of WMDs and their means of delivery in East Asia, such as the North Korean nuclear issue, proliferation of missiles by North Korea and the underground network of nuclear proliferation of Dr. A.Q. Khan and others, as the issues of major concern in the region, while reflecting on the recent non-proliferation efforts made by Asian countries.
- Endeavor to enhance the understanding of participating countries towards new non-proliferation measures which have been introduced to further strengthen the existing non-proliferation regime, such as the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Additional Protocol, the Hague Code of Conduct against Ballistic Missile Proliferation (HCOC) and the Proliferation Security Initiative (PSI).
- Deepen understanding among participating countries on the difficulties and obstacles Asian countries may face in implementing treaties and norms related to disarmament and non-proliferation in their countries and discuss the possibilities for cooperation in overcoming the obstacles.
The first meeting of the Asian Senior-Level Talks on Non-Proliferation (ASTOP) was held in Tokyo on November 13, 2003.
Back to WMD Index | Back to Asia Index