Official Development Assistance (ODA)
Key ODA Policies
March 22, 2021
Click here for materials on important policies (human security).
Concept of the "Human Security"
A concept that advances the nation and community building though empowerment and protection of individuals to live happily and in dignity, free from fear and want.
Human security of the new era (Address at the 2020 United Nations General Assembly)
Discussions so far
- In the 1990s, the ‘Human Development Report’ by the UNDP raised the concept of human security. Since then, Japan has upheld the concept as an important pillar of Japan’s foreign policy, and has taken proactive initiatives to disseminate it.
- After the 2003 final report of the ‘Commission on Huma Security’ co-chaired by then UN High Commissioner for Refugees, late Sadako Ogata, and Professor Amartya Sen, and the following discussions of the various for a at the United Nations, shared understandings on the human security at the United Nations have been established by the adoption of the UN resolution on human security in 2012.
- In 2015, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development was adopted in the UN. SDGs set a central concept of ‘leaving no one behind’ as the human centered universal development goals.
- In the context of the coronavirus pandemic, the significance of the concept of human security is gathering attention once again.
Remarks on the human security in the address of Prime Minister Suga at the UN General Assembly
- The spread of the coronavirus is a human security crisis, posing a threat the lives, livelihoods and dignity.
- Japan will proactively lead international efforts to set the goal of ‘leaving no one’s health behind’ as we work towards achieving universal health coverage.
- It is critically important to take steps towards revitalizing the economies hit hard by the crisis. To bolster economic activities in developing countries, Japan is implementing the Emergency Support Loan of up to \500 billion (US$4.5 billion) over the course of two years. Japan will continue to promote WTO reform and economic partnership agreements. Japan, for its part, will work on digitalization.
- We must look to the human security concept of the new era in responding various challenges, accelerating efforts to achieve SDGs and tackle global issues. To this end, Propose that we tap into the wisdom from around the world to deepen our discussions.