Opinion Poll on Japan
Opinion Poll on Japan in ASEAN Countries
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs commissioned IPSOS Indonesia to conduct an opinion poll with the field interview and online survey on the image of Japan in ASEAN member states (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam) in February 2018. The poll was carried out with 300 respondents aged from 18 to 59 in each country through online and face-to-face interview. The results of the poll are as follows.
- 87% of the respondents answered "friendly" or "somewhat friendly" on how they viewed their country's relations with Japan. This result indicates that Japan establishes a positive image in ASEAN member states (previous survey: 89%).
- 84% of the respondents answered "very reliable" or "somewhat reliable" on how they rate Japan as a reliable friend. This result indicates that Japan enjoys the confidence of majority people in ASEAN member states (previous survey: 91%).
- 85% of the respondents answered that Japan has consistently followed the path of a peace-loving nation for the past 70 years since the end of the World War II (previous survey: 88%).
- 83% of the respondents answered "very important role" or "somewhat important role" on to what extent Japan plays an important role in stabilization and growth of world economy. This result indicates that ASEAN member states appreciate Japan's contribution to world economy (previous survey: 84%).
- 88% of the respondents answered "very valuable" or "valuable" on how they rate Japan's efforts to promote people-to-people exchanges including youth exchange with ASEAN (previous survey: 90%).
- 65% of the respondents chose Japan as the country that has contributed the most to the development of ASEAN over the last 50 years, which was the highest rating (previous survey: 55%).