Japan-Saudi Arabia Relations
Japan-Saudi Arabia Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
September 10, 2017
On Sunday, September 10, commencing at 11:20 p.m. (local time) for approximately one hour, Mr. Taro Kono, Minister for Foreign Affairs, held a Japan-Saudi Arabia Foreign Ministers’ Meeting with H.E. Mr. Adel Ahmad Al-Jubeir, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, during his visit to Saudia Arabia. The overview of the meeting is as follows.
- At the beginning, Minister Kono expressed his gratitude for the warm congratulations he received from Foreign Minister Al-Jubeir upon his appointment, and stated that development of the relationship between Japanand the Middle East is one of his top priorities, and expressed his determination to further stregthen the existing important Japan-Saudi Arabia relationship. Minister Kono stated that he intends to closely cooperate closely with Foreign Minister Al-Jubeir.
- In response, Foreign Minister Al-Jubeir welcomed Minister Kono’s visit to Saudi Arabia, stating that Japan and Saudi Arabia are mutually important strategic partners, and that he hopes to cooperate with Minister Kono in order to strengthen the bilateral relationship in all fields.
- Minister Kono emphasized the importance of realizing the Japan-Saudi Vision 2030, and stated that he intends to collaborate to realize that Vision. Foreign Minister Al-Jubeir concurred with this, and stated that he hopes that building a stronger relationship between Japan and Saudi Arabia will be attained in all fields as a result of implementing concrete projects of the Japan-Saudi Vision 2030. Furthermore, the two ministers celebrated the success of the first Japanese orchestra performance in Riyadh in April this year.
- In addition, the two ministers exchanged views on the situation in East Asia, including North Korea. With regard to North Korea, Minister Kono emphasized the need for the international community to put pressure. Foreign Minister Al-Jubeir expressed his concerns over the widening impact of the North Korea problem on the international community, and showed his collaborative stance toword Japan.
- With regard to the recent situation surrounding Qatar, Minister Kono stressed the importance of the unity of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) and the early settlement of the issue by dialogue, and also explained that Japan is ready to support if needed. In response, Foreign Minister Al-Jubeir expressed his gratitude for Japan’s position.