Courtesy call on President RAISI of the Islamic Republic of Iran by Foreign Minister MOTEGI
On August 22, commencing at 11:30（local time; on August 22, 16:00 JST）for 50 minutes, Mr. MOTEGI Toshimitsu, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, during his visit to the Islamic Republic of Iran, paid a courtesy call on H.E. Ayatollah Seyyed Ebrahim RAISI, President of the Islamic Republic of Iran. The overview of the meeting is as follows.
- At the outset, Minister Motegi expressed his congratulations for the inauguration of President Raisi and expressed that his visit to the Islamic Republic of Iran, immediately after the inauguration of the President Raisi demonstrates the historically friendly relationship between Japan and Iran. Minister Motegi further stated that Japan provided Iran with 2.9 million doses of COVID-19 vaccinations manufactured in Japan, and expressed his hopes that these vaccines would contribute to preventing the spread of COVID-19 infections in Iran.
In response, President Raisi welcomed Minister Motegi’s visit to Iran and expressed his gratitude for the COVID-19 vaccines provided by Japan to Iran.
- Based on Japan’s consistent position in support of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), Minister Motegi urged Iran to take constructive measures towards the immediate return to compliance with the JCPOA. President Raisi explained Iran’s stance and both sides agreed to continue close communication on this matter.
- Both sides exchanged views on the bilateral relationship between Japan and Iran. While noting that Japan and Iran have expanded the bilateral relationship in various areas and concurred to further strengthen and develop the relationship under the Raisi Administration.
- Both sides exchanged views on the situation in Middle East including Afghanistan and Yemen and the situation in East Asia including China and North Korea. Minister Motegi asked for understanding and cooperation for the immediate resolution of the abduction issue, and gained understanding and support from President Raisi.
- After the courtesy call on President Raisi, Minister Motegi held meetings with H.E. Dr. Ali SHAMKHANI, Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council of the Islamic Republic of Iran commencing at 12:25（local time; on August 22, 16:55 JST）for 45 minutes, as well as H.E. Dr. Mohammad Baqer QALIBAF, Speaker of the Islamic Parliament of Iran commencing at 13:30（local time; on August 22, 18:00 JST）for 30 minutes and exchanged views on bilateral relations including efforts to combat COVID-19, issues related to JCPOA, maritime security, the safety of navigation and regional situations such as Afghanistan.