Japan-United Arab Emirates Relations
Japan-UAE Summit Meeting
On July 17, commencing at 1:00 p.m. local time (6:00 p.m. Japan Standard time) for approximately 60 minutes, Mr. KISHIDA Fumio, Prime Minister of Japan, who is visiting the United Arab Emirates, held a Japan-United Arab Emirates Summit Meeting with His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the United Arab Emirates. The meeting was attended by Mr. ISOZAKI Yoshihiko, Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary, and Mr. AKIBA Takeo, National Security Advisor from the Japanese side, and His Highness Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Vice President, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Presidential Court, His Highness Lt General Sheikh Saif bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior, His Highness Sheikh Hamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Member of Abu Dhabi Executive Council and Managing Director of Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, His Highness Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of Foreign Affairs and His Highness Sheikh Khaled bin Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan from the UAE side. The overview of the meeting is as follows. The meeting was followed by a meet and greet session between His Highness Sheikh Mohamed and the business mission that visited the UAE with Prime Minister Kishida, and a luncheon hosted by His Highness Sheikh Mohamed, and it was also attended by the business mission.
Prime Minister Kishida stated that cooperation between Japan and the UAE has expanded beyond the traditional energy sector and now covers a wide range of areas, including the space sector, and that he stated that Japan would like to further strengthen cooperation with the UAE in various fields, under the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership Initiative (CSPI). In response, His Highness Sheikh Mohamed expressed his interest in cooperation in the field of space and his strong commitment to further strengthening bilateral relations.
2. Energy, Environment and Climate Change
- Prime Minister Kishida expressed his gratitude for the stable supply of crude oil from the UAE over the years and expressed his hope for a leading role of the UAE in stabilizing the international crude oil market.
- Prime Minister Kishida expressed his desire to cooperate with the UAE through the signing of the Memorandums of Cooperation (MOCs) between the two governments in order to realize the "Global Green Energy Hub" concept, which aims to make the Middle East region a global hub for clean energy and decarbonization, and the broader "Global Green Journey" concept, which includes the green materials sector, which was concurred by His Highness Sheikh Mohamed.
- Prime Minister Kishida expressed his desire to strengthen cooperation in the field of advanced technology by launching the "Japan-UAE Innovation Partnership", which consists of the "Japan-UAE Scheme for Cooperation in Advanced Technology (JU-CAT)" established in January of this year, a new framework, the "Energy Security and Industry Accelerator", and the "Cooperation on the Semiconductor and Battery Industries and Technologies", and which was concurred by His Highness Sheikh Mohamed.
- The two leaders agreed to enhance cooperation on climate ambition, decarbonization, and clean energy and lead on climate action in the international community toward the success of the 28th Session of the UNFCCC Conference of Parties (COP28), and they issued “Japan-United Arab Emirates Leaders’ Joint Statement on Climate Action (PDF).”
- Prime Minister Kishida welcomed the signing of the MOC for cooperation in the agricultural sector and expressed cooperation in such areas as the development of agricultural business utilizing Japanese technology.
3. Trade, Investment and Tourism
- Prime Minister Kishida welcomed the signing of the MOU for establishing the Japan-UAE Business Council and stated that Japanese companies are highly interested in investing in the UAE and that a number of companies accompanied him on this economic mission. In response, the UAE side expressed his expectations for Japanese companies' contribution to Saudi Arabia's industrial diversification.
- Prime Minister Kishida mentioned the opening of the Japan National Tourism Organization Dubai Office in 2021, the introduction of visa waiver measures for UAE ordinary passport holders from 2022, and the signing of the MOC in the field of tourism, and expressed his hope for greater convenience and cooperation in tourism.
4. Foreign and Security Policy
- The two leaders agreed to hold a ministerial-level meeting this year in the framework of the CSPI to review the outcomes of their respective sectoral meetings.
- The two leaders welcomed the signing of the Defense Equipment and Technology Transfer Agreement in May of this year and agreed to strengthen cooperation in the defense sector.
- The two leaders agreed to strengthen cooperation in the region and in the international arena, including the UN Security Council.
5. Education, Culture and Science and Technology
- The two leaders welcomed the signing of the MOC in the field of education and welcomed the progress made in cooperation in the fields of education and culture, and expressed his hope for further cooperation in these areas.
- Prime Minister Kishida welcomed the signing of the MOC for cooperation on space activities between the two countries (Japanese (PDF) / English (PDF) ) and expressed his desire to strengthen dialogue in the space field under the framework of the CSPI.
- The two leaders welcomed progress in cooperation on carbon ion cancer therapy as well as cooperation in the field of science and technology.
6. International and Regional Affairs
- Prime Minister Kishida emphasized that, from the standpoint of defending the free and open international order based on the rule of law, he will never allow any attempt to unilaterally change the status quo by force anywhere in the world. In response, His Highness Sheikh Mohamed expressed his support, saying that any aggression against national sovereignty is unacceptable.
- The two leaders also exchanged views on the situation in the East Asia, the Middle East and Ukraine and confirmed that they will cooperate more closely together in the international arena.