Japan-United Arab Emirates Relations
Meeting between Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Vice Chairman Sheikh Hazza of Abu Dhabi Executive Council
On October 23, commencing at 10:30 a.m. for approximately 10 minutes, Mr. Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan, held a meeting with H.H. Sheikh Hazza bin Zayed, Vice Chairman of the Abu Dhabi Executive Council, who is visiting Japan. The overview of the meeting is as follows. The meeting was also attended by Mr. OKADA Naoki, Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary, and others from the Japanese side, and by H.E. Dr. Sultan Al Jaber, Minister of State, H.E. Mr. Khaled Alameri, Ambassador of the UAE to Japan, and others from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) side.
1. Prime Minister Abe welcomed Vice Chairman Hazza’s visit to Japan, and expressed pleasure at reuniting with the Vice Chairman for the first time since Prime Minister Abe visited the UAE in May 2013.
2. Prime Minister Abe stated that he intends to further strengthen the comprehensive partnership between Japan and the UAE under their “Comprehensive Strategic Partnership Initiative (CSPI)”, and that Japan will continue to contribute toward the success of Expo 2020 Dubai that the UAE will host next year.
3. In response, Vice Chairman Hazza stated that he was honored to attend the Ceremony of the Enthronement of His Majesty the Emperor, and expressed his intention to further enhance Japan-UAE relation. The two sides shared the view to cooperate for strengthening their relationship.
4. The two sides also exchanged views regarding the recent situation in the Middle East, and shared the view to cooperate closely towards easing tensions and stabilizing the situation in the Middle East.
5. Both sides also discussed the situation on North Korea. Prime Minister Abe requested understanding and cooperation on the early resolution of the abductions issue. In response, Vice Chairman Hazza expressed his support for Japan’s position.