Japan-United Arab Emirates Relations
Japan-UAE Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
December 10, 2017
On Sunday, December 10, from 6 p.m. (local time) for approximately one hour, Mr. Taro Kano, Minister for Foreign Affairs, who is visiting the United Arab Emirates (UAE), held a foreign ministers' meeting with H.H. Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of Foreign Affairs & International Cooperation of the UAE. The overview of the meeting is as follows. The meeting was also attended by Dr. Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber, Minister of State of the UAE and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC).
- At the beginning, Minister Abdullah sincerely welcomed Minister Kono’s visit to the UAE, and expressed his hope to strengthen collaboration in various fields. Minister Kono replied that he is happy to be able to meet again after meeting at the United Nations General Assembly in September this year, and explained that along with strengthening the bilateral relationship between the two countries, he also intends to realize close cooperation in the regional and international arenas.
- In addition, Minister Kono requested support for extending offshore oil field rights owned by Japanese companies which are due to expire in 2018. In response, Minister Abdullah explained that the UAE attaches importance to its long-standing partnership with Japan.
- Minister Abdullah requested stronger cooperation in the field of education, and Minister Kono agreed that there is a need to strengthen reciprocal cooperation in the education field.
- Furthermore, the two ministers exchanged views on issues regarding North Korea, situations in Asia including China, and the Middle East including the Jerusalem issue and the Qatar issue.
- In addition, Minister Kono explained the importance of the free and open Indo-Pacific, and Minister Abdullah expressed his agreement.