Japan-Mexico Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
On June 29th, commencing at 9:00 a.m. for approximately 20 minutes, Mr. Taro Kono, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, held a Foreign Ministers’ Meeting with H.E. Mr. Marcelo Luis Ebrard Casaubón, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the United Mexican States, during his visit to Japan to attend the G20 Osaka Summit. The overview of the meeting is as follows.
- Minister Kono expressed his delight at being able to meet once again with Minister Ebrard, who is attending the G20 Osaka Summit on behalf of H.E. Mr. Andres Manuel López Obrador, President of Mexico, stating, “I hope to further strengthen bilateral relations between Japan and Mexico.” Minister Ebrard responded by noting that he is delighted to have severalopportunities to visit Japan this year, including the G20 Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, which is scheduled to be held in Nagoya in November.
- Minister Kono also stated, “I am deeply appreciative of Mexico’s cooperation for the G20 Summit process,” and in response Minister Ebrard congratulated Minister Kono for Japan’s leadership as G20 President.
- With regard to bilateral relations Minister Kono stated, “The meeting of the Japan-Mexico EPA Business Environment Improvement Committee held in May this year was most significant and I would like to follow up on the committee’s discussions in the future,” and also noted, “More than 1,200 Japanese companies are doing business in Mexico and I would like you to take care of these companies.” Minister Ebrard responded that he was well aware of the concerns of Japanese companies doing business in Mexico, with regard to such matters as the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) and domestic security.
- Minister Ebrard explained about the migration issues that Mexico faces and how it is responding to such issues, including through the progress of the El Salvador-Guatemala-Honduras-Mexico Comprehensive Development Plan. Minister Kono stated that Japan will advance coordination with Mexico on matters relating to cooperation for the region of Central America.
- In addition, the two ministers also exchanged views on cooperation in the international arena.