Global Issues & ODA
High-Level Event “Human Security at 25”
March 5, 2019
- On February 28, the Government of Japan co-hosted the High-level Event “Human Security at 25” in UN headquarters, NY, in cooperation with the UNDP, the UN Human Security Unit and UN member states.
- On the occasion of 25th anniversary since the introduction of the notion of human security, this high-level event was held to further promote human security for which Japan has long been leading the efforts in the international community.
- After the video messages from Ms. Amina Mohammed, UN Deputy Secretary-General and Mr. Taro Kono, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, Mr. Achim Steiner, UNDP Administrator and Mr. Yukio Satoh, Former Permanent Representative to the UN (Councilor of the Japan institute of International Affairs) delivered key note speeches. As they reviewed the history of human security over 25 years, they reconfirmed that the human security is ever more relevant in the era of the SDGs.
- In the panel discussions, participants from UN member states, international organizations and civil society discussed the role of human security in the era of the SDGs, and mentioned points including; importance of education and health to achieve human security; effectiveness of human security approach which promotes coordination among various actors on the ground; the role of human security in Humanitarian-Development nexus and conflict prevention; contributions of the UN Trust Fund for Human Security. Representatives from South Africa, Uzbekistan and Mexico also shared their experiences on the efforts to achieve human security.
- In closing, Dr. Toshiya Hoshino, Deputy Permanent Representative of Japan to the UN, stated that Japan under G20 presidency would strengthen its efforts in education and health which are directly linked to human security. He also expressed that Japan, as the president of the Leading Group on Innovative Financing for Development, would lead discussion on innovative financing mechanisms including international solidarity tax in order to fill the funding gap towards achieving human security and the SDGs.
[Note] High-Level Event “Human Security at 25”
- Time: Thursday, February 28, 2019, 13:15-14:45
- Venue: UN headquarters, NY
- Theme: “Human Security at 25: Building on its contributions to achieve the SDGs”
- Co-organizers: Norway, South Africa, Thailand, UN Human Security Unit, UNDP
- Outline of the event:
- Opening Session (Video Messages): Ms. Amina Mohammed, UN Deputy Secretary-General, Mr. Taro Kono, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan
- Key Note Speakers: Mr. Achim Steiner, UNDP Administrator and Mr. Yukio Satoh, Former Permanent Representative to the UN (Councilor of the Japan institute of International Affairs)
- Panel Discussions and Q&A
- High-Level Event site