G20 (Summit on Financial Markets and the World Economy)
Side Event of the G20 Development Working Group
"Prospects on Achieving Disaster Risk Reduction Agenda"
February 19, 2019
- On Wednesday March 13rd, 2019, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (MOFA) will co-organize a Side-Event entitled "Prospects on Achieving Disaster Risk Reduction Agenda" with the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) in the margins of the second G20 Development Working Group (DWG) meeting under the Japanese Presidency.
- In recent years, natural hazards such as floods, landslides and droughts have been accelerated all over the world due to climate change. At the G20 Buenos Aires Summit in 2018, they recognised the importance of comprehensive adaptation strategies, including investment in infrastructure that is resilient to extreme weather events and disasters. The Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030 (Sendai Framework), Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and Paris agreement have created significant opportunity to build coherence across mutually reinforcing policy areas in the international community.
- The main objectives of the Side Event are as follows;
- To enhance the coherence between the Sendai Framework, the SDGs and the Paris Agreement.
- To explore further innovative actions that G20 member states and international organizations can take to achieve these agenda.
- To reaffirm the importance of multiple efforts including inclusiveness, formulation of National and Local Disaster Risk Reduction(DRR) Strategies (Plans), steady DRR investment, and Build Back Better.
- To come up with a summary paper to provide substantive inputs for the G20 process.
- The outcome would contribute to upcoming discussions at international fora such as G20 as well as Global Platform for DRR 2019 and TICAD7.