"Central Asia plus Japan" Dialogue: Eighth Tokyo Dialogue
March 2, 2016
- On March 2, the Eighth Tokyo Dialogue of the "Central Asia plus Japan" Dialogue, which was held on the theme of "Issues for Improved Connectivity in Central Asia and Possibilities for Regional Cooperation," took place in Tokyo. The Tokyo Dialogue holds symposiums with experts and specialists as part of the "Central Asia plus Japan" Dialogue framework that promotes cooperation between Japan and the five Central Asian countries (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan).
- In her opening remarks, Ms. Miki Yamada, Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs, delivered a keynote speech on behalf of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Parliamentary Vice-Minister Yamada mentioned the visit to Central Asia by Mr. Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan, in October 2015, the invigoration of Japan's diplomatic activities in Central Asia in recent years, and the vital role that the "Central Asia plus Japan" Dialogue framework plays in this context.
- In the morning session, four participants from Japan gave presentations on connectivity issues in Central Asia and Japan's cooperation. In the afternoon session, five participants from Central Asia reported on transportation and logistics issues and regional cooperation in Central Asia. The three commentators offered comments. Afterwards, there was a Q&A and open discussion involving the entire audience in the symposium.
- At the end of the symposium, Mr. Toshihiro Aiki, Special Representative in charge of Central Asia (Ambassador), Ministry of Foreign Affairs, who chaired the symposium, delivered a chairman's summary that confirmed the direction of cooperation with Central Asia in the transportation and logistics areas.
- Results from discussions at the meeting will be reflected in the Senior Officials Meeting (SOM) of the "Central Asia plus Japan" Dialogue that is planed to take place at the end of March. They will also be utilized at the next Foreign Ministers' Meeting of the "Central Asia plus Japan" Dialogue.