Japan-Kyrgyz Republic Relations
Japan-Kyrgyzstan Summit Meeting and Dinner hosted by Prime Minister KISHIDA and Mrs. KISHIDA
On November 20, commencing at 8:15 p.m. for approximately 45 minutes, Mr. KISHIDA Fumio, Prime Minister of Japan, held a summit meeting with H.E. Mr. Sadyr ZHAPAROV, President of the Kyrgyz Republic, who was paying an official visit to Japan. After the meeting, the two leaders signed and exchanged the Joint Statement on friendship and comprehensive partnership in the new era between Japan and the Kyrgyz Republic (PDF).
From 9:20 p.m. for approximately 40 minutes, Prime Minister KISHIDA and Mrs. KISHIDA hosted a dinner joined by President Zhaparov and Mrs. Aigul ZHAPAROVA, Spouse of the President of the Kyrgyz Republic.
An overview of the events are as follows
- Prime Minister Kishida welcomed President Zhaparov's first visit to Japan and stated that he welcomed the opportunity to issue a joint statement today to enhance cooperation with the Kyrgyz Republic, which is a friendly and comprehensive partner.
- In response, President Zhaparov expressed his gratitude for the warm welcome he received during his visit to Japan and his desire to further strengthen bilateral relations between the two countries.
2. Bilateral relations
- Prime Minister Kishida expressed his appreciation for Kyrgyzstan's efforts toward sustainable development and welcomed the steady development of bilateral relations between the two countries through various personal exchanges. Prime Minister Kishida also expressed his desire to steadily implement concrete cooperation based on the documents to be issued today.
- In response, President Zhaparov expressed Kyrgyz Republic's gratitude for Japan's Official Development Assistance (ODA) for socio-economic development and human resource development in the country.
- Both leaders welcomed the signing and exchange of the Exchange of Notes of the Grant Assistance to the Kyrgyz Republic "The project for Improvement of Irrigation Maintenance Equipment", exchange of the Note Verbale regarding the measures concerning the waiver of diplomatic and official visa requirements for diplomatic and service passport holders of both countries, signing and exchange of Memorandum of Cooperation between the Ministry of Justice of Japan and the Ministry of Justice of the Kyrgyz Republic in the field of Legal and Justice Affairs and Memorandum of Cooperation between the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare of Japan and the Ministry of Health of the Kyrgyz Republic.
- The two leaders confirmed that they will use today's documents as a new basis for concrete cooperation and the development of relations between the two countries.
3. Regional situation
The two leaders confirmed their cooperation to maintain and strengthen a free and open international order based on the rule of law, and frankly exchanged views on the international situation including the Indo-Pacific, Ukraine, and the Middle East, as well as on the approaches to development assistance in this region.
They concurred that actions based on the principles of international law are indispensable for peace and stability in the international community, and that they will work closely together in the future.
4. “Central Asia plus Japan” Dialogue
The two leaders agreed to work together to prepare for holding a summit meeting of "Central Asia plus Japan" Dialogue in 2024, which marks the 20th anniversary of the start of the Dialogue, in order to further deep cooperation under this Dialogue.