Chancellor of Germany to Visit Japan
March 10, 2023
H.E. Mr. Olaf SCHOLZ, Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany, will pay an official visit to Japan on 18 March 2023 to participate Japan-Germany Inter-Governmental Consultations.
- On this occasion, Japan-Germany Inter-Governmental Consultations will take place between Mr. KISHIDA Fumio, Prime Minister of Japan and H.E. Mr. Olaf SCHOLZ, accompanied by relevant ministers of the both countries.
- In addition to the consultations, Prime Minister Kishida will hold a summit meeting with Chancellor Scholz, as well as meeting with business representatives of the both countries.
- It is expected that the Inter-Governmental Consultations will lead to even closer cooperation in various fields with Germany, an important partner sharing fundamental values with Japan, as well as deeper cooperation in the lead-up to the G7 Hiroshima Summit.
- (1) This will be H.E. Mr. Olaf Scholz’s second visit to Japan as the Chancellor of Germany, after the visit in April 2022. (He visited Japan as First Mayor of Hamburg in 2011 and as Federal Minister of Finance in 2019.)
- (2) Last year in April, the two leaders concurred to establish inter-governmental consultations between Japan and Germany.