World Trade Organization (WTO)
Aid for Trade (AfT) stocktaking event (session information)
From 23 (Tuesday)-25 (Thursday) March, an Aid for Trade (AfT(note)) stocktaking event will be held in an online format, hosted by the World Trade Organization (WTO). The purpose of the event is to discuss AfT needs and responses to the economic challenges arising from the COVID-19 and share information relating to them. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (MOFA) will co-host a session with the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) at this event.
(note) It is a general term for assistance to developing countries in the field of trade, including capacity building and infrastructure provision. It aims to improve the trade-related capacity of developing countries for economic development and poverty reduction.
Anyone who is interested in this session is welcome to attend by pre-registering (capacity limited). Please click on the link below to register.
1. Outline of the event
23 (Tuesday) - 25 (Thursday) March 2021
The specific agenda and an outline of each session are posted on the AfT page of the WTO website (WTO | Development - Aid-for-Trade). During the conference, WTO Members and International Organizations will sponsor sessions on one of the following topics
- Theme 1:
- COVID-19, debt and financing
- Theme 2:
- Promoting an inclusive, green recovery
- Theme 3:
- Digital connectivity and ecommerce
- Theme 4:
- GVCs, supply side capacity and the pandemic
- Theme 5:
- Promoting recovery among MSMEs and in the tourism sector
- Theme 6:
- Adapting trade formalities to COVID-19 and future pandemic risk
- Theme 7:
- Regional approaches to COVID-19 recovery
2. Sessions of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan and JICA
Wednesday, March 24th 16:00-17:00 (JST)
- Opening remarks by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
- Presentation by JICA 1: Impact of the new Corona on the value chain of agricultural products in developing countries
- Presentation by JICA 2: Small-scale farmer support using digital technology: Case study in the Philippines (digital agricultural cooperative using an application)
- JICA Presentation 3: Supporting small-scale farmers through digital technology: Case study in Indonesia (developing sales channels through e-commerce)
- Q & A
Digital transformation (DX) is taking place in many parts of the world due to the progress of digitalization, and the pandemic of the COVID-19 is driving this move. Countries around the world must work together to overcome the threat posed by the pandemic and develop international trade in a sustainable manner.
The keynote speech will address how the Japanese government is facing this challenge and playing a role in setting the rules for the digital area, and introduce some of the AfT initiativesundertaken in the digital sector.
In the age of the DX, JICA has been working on projects, utilizing digital technologies in many parts of the world. This seminar will also introduce JICA’s work in the field of agriculture and rural development in developing countries, using digital technology to help small-scale farmers integrate into the value chain.