Application for Visa for foreign nationals eligible for Phased Measures toward Resuming Cross-Border Travel
Regarding new entry of foreign nationals into Japan, based on the New Border Measures (34) dated on September 26, 2022, prescribed applications in the Entrants, Returnees Follow-up Systems (ERFS) is no longer required from October 11. In addition, the measure to limit the entry of foreign tourists to those on package tours has been lifted at the same time. (NEW)
Review on restrictions on new entry of foreign nationals into Japan
1. Lifting of suspension of visa validity
The suspension of visas issued prior to December 2, 2021 has been lifted from 0:00 am (JST) on October 11, 2022. Those who hold a valid visa, after 0:00 am (JST) on October 11, 2022, can travel with the visa as long as it is valid.
2. Resumption of visa exemption arrangement
The visa exemption measures, which were temporarily suspended due to the border measures, were resumed at 0:00 am (JST) on October 11, 2022.
Please refer to the following links for information on eligible visa exemption countries/regions and types.
- Visa exemption countries/regions (Short-Term Stay)
- Countries exempting diplomatic and official passport holders from diplomatic and official visa requirements
- Visa handling for United Nations Laissez-Passer holders visiting Japan on UN business while also carrying the passport of their country of nationality
In addition, visa exemption under the APEC Business Travel Card Arrangement has been resumed.
For more information on the APEC Business Travel Card, please refer to the link below.
3. Review on border restrictions on new entry of foreign nationals
Border measures for new entry of foreign nationals have been lifted.
Those who have not been regarded as having special exceptional circumstances are permitted to enter Japan.
The changes regarding entry under the new measures are as follows.
- The receiving organization located in Japan is no longer required to complete the Entrants, Returnees Follow-up Systems (ERFS) for new entry of foreign nationals entering Japan for a short-term stay(less than 90 days) for the purpose of business, employment, or tourism, and for a long-term stay.
- The measures to limit the entry of foreign tourists to those on package tours have been lifted.
- Those who wish to visit acquaintances but have not been permitted and those who need to enter Japan for transit purposes are permitted to enter Japan.
- Inviting person is no longer required to agree to the pledge which has been required to apply for a short-term stay visa for the purpose of visiting families/ acquaintances.
Please refer to our website (consular services/overseas establishment) for visa application procedures and required application documents.