Application for Visa for foreign nationals eligible for Phased Measures toward Resuming Cross-Border Travel
(Review on restrictions on new entry of foreign nationals, Residence Track, Business Track, Entry into Japan from all countries and regions based on the decision of the GOJ on September 25, 2020, and Entry of foreign nationals with other special exceptional circumstances)
On November 30, 2021, New border measures (20) to prevent coronavirus variant Omicron (B.1.1.529) were announced.
Currently, foreign nationals/people who are willing to enter Japan need a visa newly issued by Embassies or Consulates or Consular Office of Japan (for Taiwan, Taipei Kaohsiung offices of Japan-Taiwan Exchange Association) (hereinafter referred to as “Japan’s overseas establishments”) in the country/region depending on the purpose of their entry.
To apply for a visa, please submit the required documents to Japan’s overseas establishments in your country / region (Please see the following articles for further information. There are some cases where Japan’s overseas establishments request additional documents).
After the application has been successfully accepted, the visa would be issued at the consular affairs section of the Japan’s overseas establishment. The visa should be received by the applicant or his / her representative and is needed upon applying for landing permission.
1. Review on restrictions on new entry of foreign nationals (Suspended)
Since November 29, 2021 until February 28, 2022, the Government of Japan decided the suspension of “Review on restrictions on new entry of foreign nationals and on restrictions on activities after entering into Japan for persons with a vaccination certificate of COVID-19” as well as the acceptance of application forms from responsible persons to the ministries in charge and issuing screening certificate based on the New border measures (19). From November 30, 2021, new entry of foreign nationals under this measure will be denied until February 28, 2022.
(A) Foreign nationals eligible to this measure
Newly entering Japan for a short-term stay (less than three months) for business or working purpose or newly entering Japan for a long-term stay
In order to be secured their entry into Japan, the receiving companies/organizations should pass screening by the Ministry and Agency having jurisdiction over the business in question in advance and should be responsible for supervision of their conduct.
(B) Required documents for the visa application
- A copy of the screening certificate from the appropriate ministry/agency
- Visa Application Documents (Please see “VISA” page for more details).
Application for visa is made by the applicant him/herself at the Japanese overseas establishments with jurisdiction over the area in which the applicant resides or those with jurisdiction over the country/region of which the applicant’s passport is issued. Note that there are some countries/regions in which the visa applications should be submitted through travel agencies accredited by the Japanese overseas establishments.
2. “Residence Track” and “Business Track”(Suspended)
Since January 14, 2021, the Government of Japan decided the suspension of “Business Track” and “Residence Track” with all the countries/regions covered under the framework for the time being. The new entry of foreign nationals into Japan under these two tracks will not be permitted and the relaxation of restrictions on movement during the period of 14-day quarantine through “Business Track” will no longer be applicable for Japanese nationals and foreign nationals with the status of residence for the time being. In case the entry into Japan is permitted, the relaxation of restrictions on movement during the period of 14-day quarantine through “Business Track” is no longer permitted.
Please see this page for more details about these measures
- Only single entry visas will be issued through these measures. The visa fee payment may be required depending on the nationality/region.
- Those who wish to newly enter Japan using these measures or based on the decision on September 25, 2020, need to apply for a visa even if the Visa Exemption Arrangements are in effect between their country of nationality and Japan (Except the case that Diplomatic and Official visas are exempted by the visa exemption measures for those visiting for diplomatic and official mission).
3. Entry into Japan from all countries and regions based on the decision of the GOJ on September 25, 2020 (suspended)
This measure is suspended for the time being.
On September 25, 2020, the GOJ announced that, in principle, the holders of Statuses of Residence of “Student”, “Dependent” and others, in addition to cross-border business travelers of all countries and regions are permitted to enter Japan from October 1, 2020, under the condition that the person is hosted by a company / entity that can assure observation of quarantine measures. As for the cross-border travelers to be permitted to newly enter Japan based on the decision on September 25, 2020, all foreign nationals residing in the country / region of departure are entitled to apply for the entry visa.
Countries / RegionsAll countries and regions
4. Entry of foreign nationals with other special exceptional circumstances
Currently, all foreign nationals who wish to newly enter Japan need to apply for a visa except for those with re-entry permit. Please note that due to the impact caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the visa approval procedure may take longer than usual. Your understanding and cooperation are greatly appreciated.
As emergency precautionary measure from a preventive perspective, cases for entry of foreign nationals with special exceptional circumstances are as follows.
- (1) Foreign nationals entering Japan with re-entry permit (including a special re-entry permit; the same applies hereinafter)
- (2) Foreign nationals newly entering Japan who fall under any of the following.
- Foreign nationals who departed from Japan with a re-entry permit before August 31, 2020 and who were not permitted to re-enter Japan because the validity period of the re-entry permission expired after the country/region of stay was designated an area subject to denial of landing.
- Spouse or child of a Japanese national/permanent resident.
- Spouse or child of a foreign national where the foreign national has the status of residence of “Long-Term Resident”, whose family is staying in Japan and who has been separated from his/her family.
- (Note) Depending on the purpose of your entry, you may need to get a Certificate of Eligibility at the regional immigration bureau and get Japan Visa at the Japanese embassy/consulate in the country/region.
- (3) A foreign national who has or is about to acquire the status of residence of "Diplomat" or "Official".
(Note) Regarding “Official”, it is limited to a case with a high necessity and a high urgency.
- (4) Foreign nationals who are recognized to be in special exceptional circumstances corresponding to an individual situation such as the true need for humanitarian consideration or the need for large public benefit.