Hosting of the 31st RCA National Representative Meeting
April 20, 2009
- The 31st RCA (Regional Cooperative Agreement for Research, Development
and Training related to Nuclear Science and Technology) National Representative
Meeting (NRM) is to be held from April 21 (Tues) to 23 (Thurs) at the Grand
Prince Hotel Akasaka in Tokyo.
- The RCA is a framework for promoting technical cooperation on nuclear
science and technology, for example, radiation utilization, in developing
countries in the Asia Pacific region. A review of the RCA’s 2008 performance
and 2009 Work Plan, as well an exchange of views on its medium-term strategy,
is scheduled for the meeting.
- Representatives of governmental agencies responsible for nuclear energy from 14 countries are expected to attend this meeting and Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs Mr. Masahiko Shibayama will attend the opening session. The Director of the International Nuclear Energy Cooperation Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Tsutomu Arai, will chair the meeting.
- The RCA is a framework created in 1970 for countries in the Asia Pacific
region as part of the activities of the International Atomic Energy Agency
(IAEA). Following the establishment of the RCA, the African Regional Cooperative
Agreement for Research Development and Training related to Nuclear Science
and Technology (AFRA), the Regional Cooperative Agreement for the Advancement
of Nuclear Science and Technology in Latin America and the Caribbean (ARCAL),
and the Cooperative Agreement for Arab States in Asia for Research Development
and Training related to Nuclear Science and Technology (ARASIA) were established.
- The RCA conducts technical cooperation activities in eight sectors including health, agriculture, and industry. Japan places particular emphasis on cooperation in the medical field from a viewpoint of enhancing human security, and makes such contributors as nominating Dr. Takahashi Nakano of Gunma University as the Lead Country Coordinator of a human health project.