Statement by Mr. Fumio Kishida, Minister for Foreign Affairs, on the Adoption of a Resolution by the United Nations Security Council on the Launch of the Missile by North Korea, which it calls a "satellite"
January 23, 2013
- Japan highly appreciates the unanimous adoption of the United Nations Security Council resolution 2087, January 22, New York (January 23, Japan Time), condemning as a firm message of the international community the launch of the missile by North Korea on December 12, 2012, which it calls a "satellite", and deciding on measures to strengthen sanctions.
- The launch by North Korea, despite strong call from relevant countries for North Korea's restraint, is a grave security provocation undermining the peace and security of the international community, a clear violation of relevant Security Council resolutions, not consistent with the Statement by the President of the Security Council in April, 2012, and therefore unacceptable, and deeply deplorable. In light of this, Japan has been working toward the firm response by the Security Council, in close coordination with the United States, the Republic of Korea (ROK), and other countries concerned at various levels. Japan welcomes that such efforts resulted in the adoption of the Security Council resolution which reflects many of our views.
- Resolution 2087 recognizes this launch as a violation of relevant Security Council resolutions, condemns it, and contains strong measures expanding and strengthening as well as enhancing the effectiveness of sanction measures stated under relevant UN Security Council resolutions in such areas as the designation of sanction targets and financial measures. Japan will, in coordination with other countries, take appropriate measures so that the resolution will be implemented effectively.
- Japan strongly urges North Korea to heed the firm message of the international community seriously and comply faithfully and fully with the present and other relevant Security Council resolutions, and not to conduct any further provocative acts including further launches and nuclear tests. Japan is resolved to continue to make active efforts, in close coordination with the international community, for the comprehensive resolution of outstanding issues of concern regarding North Korea, including abductions, nuclear and missile issues.
- (* The foregoing is a provisional translation. The date indicated above denotes the date of issue of the original version in Japanese.)