Announcement of Winners for the Fifth International MANGA Award
February 14, 2012
- On Tuesday, February 14, the International MANGA Award Executive Committee (Chairman: Koichiro Gemba, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan) selected 14 award winners, including one Gold Award winner and three Silver Award winners.
- The International MANGA Award was established in May 2007. This time it received 145 entries from 30 countries and regions all over the world.
- A ceremony will be held in Tokyo on Friday, February 17.
(1) Gold AwardName of Work: "I Kill Giants" (Published in the United States)(2) Silver Award
Artist: J M Ken Niimura (Spain)
Writer: Joe Kelly (United States)Name of Work: "Make a Wish! Da Xi" (Published in Taiwan)
Artist: Cory (Taiwan)
Name of Work: "The Man Who Follow His Own Voice" (Published in Thailand)
Artist: Tanis Werasakwong (Thailand)
Name of Work: "When You Standing on Your Tiptoes" (Published in China)
Artists: Pan Li-Ping (China) and Zu Ya-le (China)
The countries with the most entries were Thailand (38), Malaysia (21), China (16), and so on.
[Reference 2] Executive Committee
Chairman: Mr. Koichiro Gemba, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan
Members: Mr. Hiroyasu Ando, President, Japan Foundation; Mr. Satoshi Katayose, Director, Shogakukan Inc.; Ms. Saya Shiraishi, Professor, University of Tokyo; Mr. Kotaro Sugiyama, Executive Advisor, Dentsu Inc.;
[Reference 3] Jury
President: Ms. Machiko Satonaka (Manga artist)
Members: Mr. Leiji Matsumoto (Manga artist), Ms. Seika Nakayama (Manga artist), Mr. Koichi Yuri (former Manga magazine editor), Mr. Hiroyuki Yoshitome (former Manga magazine editor)
[Reference 4] Primary Selection Committee: Comic Jusshakai
Members: Akita Publishing Co., Kadokawa Shoten Publishing Co., Kodansha Ltd., Shueisha Inc., Shogakukan Inc., Shonen-gahosha Co., Shinchosha Publishing Co., Hakusensha Inc., Futabasha Publishers Ltd., Leed Publishing Co.
[Reference 5] Trophies
Since the First International MANGA Award, the trophies have been designed by Mr. Taku Sato.
- (*The foregoing is a provisional translation. The date indicated above denotes the date of issue of the original press release in Japanese.)