Application for TICAD 30th Anniversary Official Side Events
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan is inviting applications for TICAD 30th Anniversary Official Side Events. Organizations such as international organizations, universities, research institutes, civil societies and NGOs who have an interest are kindly requested to fill in the attached registration form (Excel) and send it to the TICAD 30th Anniversary Official Side Event Team, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, by e-mail, no later than deadlines mentioned in 2.(2) below. After the screening process by the TICAD 30th Anniversary Official Side Event Team, the results of the screening process will be notified to the applicants.
1. Purpose of the official side events
TICAD is a policy forum where diverse stakeholders participate in and share their expertise on African development. The TICAD 30th Anniversary Official Side Events provide an opportunity to exchange opinions related to African development.
2. General Information
(1) Period and Format
Period: from Monday, 14th August to Sunday, 31st December, 2023
Format: In-person or online
(2) Final deadline for application
Final Deadline: Tuesday, 31st October, 2023
(Notification of results will be sent sequentially, upon completion of screening process of respective projects)
(3) Criteria for approval
The event has to be a project which falls under any of the following.
- (A) A project aimed to contribute to developing Africa's economy and society, disseminating its appeal, or building peace
- (B) A project that contributes to strengthening Japan-Africa relations
In principle, a project that falls under any of the following will not be certified as TICAD 30th Anniversary Official Side Events, even if the above criteria are met.
- -A project offensive to public order or public morality, etc.
- -A project for profit-making purposes or a project not pursued in the public interest, etc.
- -A project carried out by a political or religious organization or any equivalent organization, etc.
- -A highly political or religious project, etc.
- -A project that may promote the interests of a specific organization, etc.
- -A project to be hosted by an organization of dubious competence in project management, etc.
- -A project that is not expected to facilitate the promotion of Japan or a foreign country or to promote international friendship or contribute to Japan's diplomacy, etc.
- -A project that is not expected to promote friendship between Japan and other countries, etc.
- -A project that violates or may violate any law or regulation of the venue of the project, etc.
- -Any other project found to be diplomatically inappropriate, such as contrary to the purpose of TICAD.
3. Important Notices
- (1) In case, an event is organized by more than one organization, the organizers are kindly requested to specify a main organizer at the time of the application.
- (2) Certification of the official side events does not mean any financial or physical support from the Government of Japan.
- (3) All the responsibilities as for holding an event are to be borne by an event organizer, even though the event is certified as a TICAD 30th Anniversary Official Side Event. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will not take any responsibility for any claims by participants in the events.
- (4) Even though an event meets criteria for approval as the official side event, the event will not always be certified as an official side event due to the high number of applications. The criteria for approval of an official side event described in 2. (3) above is subject to change by the TICAD 30th Anniversary Official Side Event Team due to applications situation.
- (5) All applications must be submitted by E-mail.
- (6) An organizer is kindly requested to send in a report of the event (about two pages)in English within one month after the event by e-mail to the TICAD 30th Anniversary Official Side Event Team.
- (7) In case any modification is made, such as modification of an implementation plan or cancellation of the event, the organizer must inform the TICAD 30th Anniversary Official Side Event Team about such modification immediately.
- (8) Even though an event is certified as an official side event, certification may be cancelled in such cases as false application or violation of criteria for approval are revealed, or Ministry of Foreign Affairs considers cancellation is necessary.
4. Procedure of application
- (1) After the start of the application period, the TICAD 30th Anniversary Official Side Event Team will review the applications, and the results of the screening process will be notified individually and sequentially. The final application deadline is Tuesday, 31st October, 2023.
- (2) Information on TICAD 30th Anniversary Official Side Events will be posted on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ website and related social networking sites.
- (3) Objections to the results of the screening process will not be accepted.