Laureates of the Third Hideyo Noguchi Africa Prize
April 25, 2019
- The Government of Japan announced its decision to award the Third Hideyo Noguchi Africa Prize as follows.
- Medical Research category:
- Dr. Jean-Jacques Muyembe-Tamfum (Democratic Republic of the Congo),
General Director of the National Institute of Biomedical Research (INRB), Professor of Medical Microbiology/ Virology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Kinshasa
- Medical Services category:
- Dr. Francis Gervase Omaswa (Republic of Uganda)
Executive Director of African Center for Global Health and Social Transformation (ACHEST)
The Hideyo Noguchi Africa Prize (HNAP) Committee (Chair, Dr. Kiyoshi Kurokawa, Professor Emeritus of National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies) selected final candidates among individuals or organizations recommended by each sub-committee (medical research category and medical services category), and the Prime Minister made a final decision of the laureates on the basis of the recommendation by the HNAP Committee.
- The Prize aims to honor individuals or organizations with outstanding achievements in the fields of medical research and medical services to combat infectious and other diseases in Africa, thus contributing to the health and welfare of the African people and of all humankind (Cabinet Decision of July 28, 2006).
- The awarding ceremony of the Third Hideyo Noguchi Africa Prize hosted by Prime Minister will be organized on August 30 in Tokyo on the occasion of the Seventh Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD 7) to be held in Yokohama from August 28 to 30 with African leaders’ participation. The Hideyo Noguchi Africa Prize is composed of a citation, a medal and an honorarium of 100 million yen (approximately 1 million US dollars) for each laureate. The honorarium is disbursed from the Government of Japan and the donations both national and international.
(The awarding ceremony of the Second Hideyo Noguchi Africa Prize was held on June 1, 2013 on the occasion of TICAD V)