Japan-Republic of Korea Relations
Japan-ROK summit telephone call
On December 28, commencing at 17:48 for approximately 15 minutes, Mr. Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan, held talks by telephone with Ms. Park Geun-hye, President of the Republic of Korea. The overview of the conversation is as follows. (In addition to the two leaders, Mr Yoshihide Suga, Chief Cabinet Secretary, Mr. Koichi Hagyuda, Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary, Mr. Hiroshige Seko, Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary, Shotaro Yachi, Secretary General of the National Security Secretariat(NSS), Eiichi Hasegawa, the Special Advisor to the Prime Minister, Akitaka Saiki, Vice Minister for Foreign Affairs sat in from the Japan side during the telephone call.)
1. The two leaders confirmed and appreciated the fact that their governments had reached agreement regarding the issue of comfort women, after having accelerated consultations following the Japan-ROK summit meeting which was held on the occasion of the Japan-China-ROK summit in November.
(1) As Prime Minister of Japan, Prime Minister Abe expressed anew his most sincere apologies and remorse to all the women who underwent immeasurable and painful experiences and suffered incurable physical and psychological wounds as comfort women. While stating that Japan continued to hold the position that issues relating to property and claims between Japan and the ROK, including the issue of comfort women, had been settled completely and finally by the Japan-ROK Claims Settlement and Economic Cooperation Agreement of 1965, Prime Minister Abe welcomed the fact that the issue of comfort women is resolved “finally and irreversibly” with this agreement.
(2) President Park appreciated the fact that final agreement regarding the issue of comfort women had been achieved in the foreign ministers’ meeting and stated that she looked forward to both sides working to build a new ROK-Japan relations.
(3) The two leaders confirmed that they would take responsibility as leaders to implement this agreement, and that they would deal with various issues based on the spirit of this agreement.
3. The two leaders confirmed the importance of moving forward in Japan-ROK relations by strengthening cooperation between the two countries in various fields such as security, human exchanges and the economy.