Japan-China Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
February 15, 2020
On February 15, commencing at around 4 p.m. for approximately 30 minutes, Mr. MOTEGI Toshimitsu, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, who is visiting the Federal Republic of Germany to attend the Munich Security Conference, held a Japan-China Foreign Ministers’ Meeting with H.E. Mr. Wang Yi, State Councilor and Foreign Minister of the People’s Republic of China. The overview of the meeting is as follows.
1 Opening remarks
(1) The overview of State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi’s opening remarks is as follows.
- Appreciation is being expressed widely in China for Japan’s assistance related to the spread of novel coronavirus infections.
- Under the leadership of President Xi Jinping, the 1.4 billion Chinese people are united in making every effort to curb the spread of infections.
- China will cooperate closely with Japan, including exchanging information, to carry out joint efforts to bring the situation under control.
(2) The overview of Minister Motegi’s response is as follows.
- The Government of Japan appreciates China’s full cooperation with the repatriation of Japanese nationals living in Hubei Province, amidst China’s own earnest efforts to halt the spread of novel coronavirus infections.
- Japan asks China to continue to take all possible efforts to prevent the spread of infections and bring the situation under control at the earliest possible date. Japan will continue to cooperate with the efforts of the Government of China.
- Both Japan and China share a major responsibility for the peace and prosperity of the region and the world, and both countries are strongly called upon to fulfill this responsibility under the current circumstances in Asia and by the international community. Let us make President Xi Jinping’s state visit to Japan an opportunity to send out a clear message both domestically and internationally that the two countries intend to firmly fulfill this responsibility.
2 Japan-China relations
(1) The two sides shared the view on continuing to coordinate closely for preventing the spread of novel coronavirus infections. Minister Motegi once again requested China’s support for the repatriation of all Japanese nationals who wish to return to Japan. State Councilor Wang Yi stated that China will exert efforts to ensure the safety and health of Japanese nationals remaining in China, and expressed gratitude for the supports which Japan has provided.
(2) Minister Motegi expressed intent to send out a positive message regarding potentially feasible areas of cooperation during President Xi Jinping’s visit to Japan, and strongly urged for China’s positive response to its import restrictions on Japanese food products and Japanese exports of agricultural products to China, including beef and rice.
(3) Minister Motegi once again raised maritime security issues, including the East China Sea such as waters surrounding the Senkaku Islands, and strongly requested China’s actions.
(4) The two sides shared the view on continuing to coordinate closely to prepare for President Xi’s state visit to Japan.