January 8, 2016
1. Double the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) stocks in Japan by 2020
The government will develop an environment where all companies and human resources enjoy the benefits of global economy and facilitate full-fledged globalization in Japan in order to attract outstanding overseas manpower and technologies to Japan and to create employment and innovation. It will also aim to double inward FDI stocks to 35 trillion yen in 2020 (17.8 trillion yen at the end of 2012).
2. Three key roles of Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Diplomatic missions of Japan, in cooperation with overseas office of the Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO), are taking following measures to double inward FDI stocks in Japan.
- (1) Collect information which relates to potential foreign direct investment
- (2) Collect information which contributes to improving investment environment in Japan
- (3) Promote Japan’s attractiveness as an investment destination among foreign business communities
3. The Council for Promotion of Foreign Direct Investment in Japan
The "Five Promises for Attracting Foreign Businesses to Japan" (which was adopted by the Council for Promotion of Foreign Direct Investment in Japan on March 17, 2015) established the "Investment Advisor Assignment System" at the initiative of the Prime Minister. This is a system through which State Ministers etc. will act as advisors to companies that have made important investments in Japan in order to prepare an environment in which these companies can easily consult with the Japanese government.
The Cabinet Office announces the acceptance of solicitation of applications from companies for the Investment Advisor Assignment System.
[Period for Acceptance of Application Forms]
From Thursday, January 7, to 17:00 on Friday, February 12, 2016
The application details are on the following website.
JETRO is a government-related organization promoting mutual trade and investment between Japan and the rest of the world. As one of its activities, it offers foreign investors with abundant information on all aspects of doing business in Japan, by providing expert consultation and offering free temporary office space in major business areas across the country.
JETRO supports foreign companies by
- Giving consultation regarding administrative procedures required for FDI into Japan.
- Arranging meetings with officials of regulatory agencies if needed.
- Relaying requests for regulatory reforms to the Japanese government.
If you wish to have their assistance, please contact INVEST JAPAN hotline.
5. Other Information
6. MOFA contact
OECD Division, Economic Affairs Bureau