Guide to Japanese Visas
Due to the complex nature of visa requirements, we are UNABLE to respond to visa-related inquiries made through this website at the moment. We advise you to contact the Consular Section of the Embassy or Consulate General of Japan nearest you for more information and advice. Thank you.
1. If your purpose is a short-term stay...
(A stay of up to 90 days for tourism, business, visiting friends or relatives, etc. that does not include paid activities)
Click on the nationality of the visa applicant who will travel to Japan.
3. If your purpose is to work or a long-term stay...
(A stay during which the applicant performs paid work in Japan, a stay of over 90 days in Japan, etc.)
4. Visa Application Procedure
5. Chart of procedures
- Statistics for the Number of Visas Issued in 2011 (April 18, 2012)
- Desaster related information sharing
- Statistics for the Number of Visas Issued in 2010 (March 2011)
- Extension of the period of validity of the re-entry permit to Japan (March 2011)
- The Creation of a "Visa for Medical Stay" (December 2010)
- Statistics for the Number of Visas Issued in 2009 (May 2010)
- Individual Sightseeing Visas for Chinese (May 2010)
- Visas for Chinese group tourists and individual tourists
- Japan's Visa Policy in Accordance with Measures to Combat Trafficking in Persons (February 2009)
- Establishment of the Center for Consular Services (October 2009)
- MULTIPLE Entry Visa for temporary visitors (January 2007)
(1) Automatic answering machine service (24 hours, Japanese only)
(2) Inquiries about visa examination status
(Note: Only in cases in which the application documents have been sent from the Japanese Embassy/or Consulate General to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
Monday to Friday, 10:00-12:00 and 14:00-16:00
(3) Other inquiries about visas
Monday to Friday,
09:00-12:30 and 13:30-17:00
Frequently Asked Questions
- Tell me why you rejected my visa application.
- I want to go to Japan. Do I need a visa?
- I want to invite a foreign national to Japan. What procedures are necessary?
- What should I do to get a certificate of eligibility?
Guide to Living in Japan
Visa Application Documents (download)
- Visa application documents package (includes all of the following documents) [PDF]
- Visa application form (PDF Format ) English ,Chinese(simplified ,traditional) ,Korean ,Portuguese, Spanish
- Letter of guarantee [PDF]
- Letter of reason for invitation [PDF]
- List of visa applicants [PDF]
- Overview of company / organization [PDF]
- Schedule of stay [PDF]
- The Immigration Bureau, the Ministry of Justice
- MOFA's Web Server Network Embassies and Consulates
(The web sites of Japanese embassies and consulates general overseas)