If your objective is work or a long-term stay

Working visa

  • Professor (Examples: university professor, assistant professor, assistant, etc.)
  • Artist (Examples: composers, songwriters, artists, sculptors, craftspeople, photographers, etc.)
  • Religious activities (Examples: religious people such as monks, bishops, missionaries, etc.)
  • Journalist (Examples: newspaper journalists, magazine journalists, editors, news cameramen, announcers, etc.)
  • Investor/business manager (Examples: company presidents, officers, etc.)
  • Legal/accounting services (Examples: attorneys, judicial scriveners, public accountants, tax accountants, etc. certified in Japan)
  • Medical services (Examples: physicians, dentists, pharmacists, nurses, etc. certified in Japan)
  • Researcher (Examples: researchers, investigators, etc. at research institutes, etc.)
  • Instructor (Examples: teachers, etc. at elementary schools, intermediate schools and high schools)
  • Engineer (Examples: scientific engineers, IT engineers, etc.)
  • Specialist in humanities/International Services (Examples: foreign language teachers, interpreters, copywriters, designers, etc.)
  • Intra-company transferee (Examples: people transferred to the Japanese branch (head office of the same company, etc.)
  • Entertainer (Examples: musicians, actors, singers, dancers, sportspeople, models, etc.)
  • Skilled labor (Examples: chefs specializing in the food of a foreign country, animal trainers, pilots, sports trainers, sommeliers, etc.)
  • Highly skilled foreign professional visa

General visa

Specified visa

  • Spouse, etc. of a Japanese national (Examples: spouse of a Japanese national, biological child of a Japanese national)
  • Spouse, etc. of a permanent resident (Examples: spouse of a permanent resident, biological child of a permanent resident)
  • Long-term resident (Examples: persons with Japanese ancestry, Indochinese refugee settlers, the spouse or children of Japanese nationals left behind in China, etc.)
  • Designated activities (Examples: foreign nationals who wish to enter Japan as personal help privately employed by diplomats, etc., foreign nationals who wish to enter Japan for a working holiday or for paid internships, candidate nurses and care workers who wish to enter Japan based on an EPA, etc.)

Diplomatic visa

  • Diplomatic (Examples: constituent members of diplomatic mission, diplomatic couriers, etc.)

Official visa

  • Official (Examples: administrative and technical employees of diplomatic missions and members of the service staff, etc.)

Back to Index