(* This is a provisional translation by an external company for reference purpose only. The original text is in Japanese.)
Press Conference by Minister for Foreign Affairs Koichiro Gemba
Date: Friday, May 25, 2012, 9:23 a.m.
Place: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Main topics:
- Opening Remarks
- (1) Presidential Election in Egypt
- Questions concerning North Korea
- Questions concerning the relations between Japan and the Republic of Korea
- Questions concerning the realignment of U.S. Forces in Japan
1. Opening Remarks
(1) Presidential Election in Egypt
Foreign Minister Koichiro Gemba: With regard to the presidential election in Egypt, I positively evaluate that the election has been implemented generally smoothly on May 23 and May 24.
The election this time is an extremely important opportunity for the democratization process in Egypt, which is the core of stability of the Middle East and North Africa. I visited Egypt just after the campaign for the presidential election started at the beginning of this month to see firsthand the initiatives being undertaken for political reform.
I understand that the results of the election will be announced on May 29. Japan will continue to support various reforms underway in Egypt.
2. Questions concerning North Korea
Shimada, NHK: North Korea has stated that it has not envisioned “a military measure like a nuclear test”. How do you evaluate the comment and how does the Japanese Government plan to deal with North Korea related to this issue?
Minister Gemba: As I said before, Japan has been sharing information with the United States and the Republic of Korea officially and unofficially, and I have also made my own analysis of the situation. As for the intention behind the statement, I do not think I am in a position in which it would be appropriate to say anything about it. As has been announced, however, further provocations by North Korea will be dealt with in a definite manner by Japan, the United States, and the Republic of Korea through close collaboration. If North Korea makes a right decision or goes in the right direction, we need to be ready to respond to that.
Shimada, NHK: What do you mean by a right decision or direction?
Minister Gemba: It is important that North Korea does not proceed with any further provocations and commit itself to concrete actions on denuclearization. I have always said that concrete actions are required from North Korea. We are ready to respond to what North Korea does, depending on the nature of actions.
Yokota, Mainichi Shimbun: You said that you are ready to respond to North Korea. Do you mean you are ready to have a dialogue with North Korea?
Minister Gemba: First of all, North Korea has to refrain from further provocations and commit itself to concrete actions on denuclearization. Our response will be based on what concrete actions North Korea will commit itself to.
3. Questions concerning the relations between Japan and the Republic of Korea
Yokota, Mainichi Shimbun: Yesterday, the Supreme Court of the Republic of Korea ruled that former Korean workers who had been forced to work for Japanese companies during World War II who initiated a lawsuit seeking compensation from those companies, including Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, still have their individual right to seek compensation in spite of the 1965 Japan-Korea Claims Agreement. Could you comment on the decision for the Japanese Government?
Minister Gemba: We are currently studying the details of the ruling right now. Needless to say, however, our understanding is that all issues, including the individual right to make a claim, have already been concluded through the 1965 Agreement Between Japan and the Republic of Korea Concerning the Settlement of Problems in Regard to Property and Claims and Economic Cooperation.
4. Questions concerning the realignment of U.S. Forces in Japan
Miyashiro, Ryukyu Shimpo: The U.S. Senate has approved a budget that slashed the cost to transfer the Marines to Guam. In case the transfer to Guam is delayed, the transfer of two camps, Camp Kinser and Camp Zukeran, may be delayed. How do you see the situation and what action do you plan to take on this issue?
Minister Gemba: I do not have the latest information on that. I will study the details. What I can say is that a final conclusion has not yet been made on this issue.
As I mentioned before, one of the major goals of the last 2+2 agreement was to promote the transfer of the U.S. Marines to Guam and other locations. To put it another way, the agreement was significant in that we separated the transfer of the Marines to Guam from the return of the land south of Kadena including some portions of the area even if the transfer should not take place as planned. So the two issues have been separated from each other.
We can say that the transfer of Futenma Air Station to another location and the transfer of the Marines to Guam and other locations are separate from the return of the land. We are coordinating with the United States so that the land, including a large part of the warehouse area in the Makiminato logistics area, will be returned to Japan irrespective of the transfer of the Marines to Guam and other locations. Of course, the Japanese and U.S. governments are fully committed to the transfer of the Marines to Guam and other locations and we will make sure that this initiative will be completed as planned. However, I would like all of you to clearly understand what I have just said.
Back to Index

