Message of Condolence from Prime Minister Abe on the Demise of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej of the Kingdom of Thailand
October 13, 2016
On October 13 (also October 13 in Thailand), upon hearing the news of the demise of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej of the Kingdom of Thailand, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe sent the following message of condolence to H.E. Mr. Prayuth Chan-o-cha, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Thailand, honoring the achievements of the late King.
- I am greatly saddened to hear of news of the demise of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej. On behalf of the government and people of Japan I would like to express my heartfelt condolences to the Thai Royal Family, the Thai Royal Government and the people of Thailand.
- Since acceding to the throne in 1946, over the course of a long reign of 70 years, His Majesty was loved and respected by his people. His Majesty was a figure of spiritual support for the people and the remarkable development of Thailand and the dramatic improvements in peoples' lives under His Majesty's leadership are historic achievements.
- His Majesty, together with Her Majesty Queen Sirikit, made a State Visit to Japan in 1963. In 1991 Thailand became the first country that Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress visited after His Majesty's accession to the throne. The long years of exchange between the Imperial Family and the Thai Royal Family are a symbol of the relations of friendship and goodwill shared between Japan and Thailand.
- When I visited Thailand in 2013, I had an audience with His Majesty and I was deeply moved by His Majesty's concern for Japan following the Great East Japan Earthquake. I believe that His Majesty's tremendous accomplishments that have been instrumental in the advancement of friendly relations between Japan and Thailand will be remembered by all the people of Japan.
- My thoughts and prayers are with all the people of Thailand at this time of incomparable sorrow. Remembering with respect the now bygone days of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej, a wise and kind-hearted monarch, I pray for the peaceful repose of His Majesty's soul.