March 1, 2001
New Edition of the Joint Compendium of Documents on the History of Territorial Issue between Japan and Russia
between the Government of Japan
and the Government of the Russian Federation
on some matters of cooperation
in the field of fishing operations for marine living resources
The Government of Japan and the Government of the Russian Federation (hereinafter referred to as "the Parties"),
Hoping to promote the development and enhancement of good neighborliness between Japan and the Russian Federation,
Aiming to further develop and enhance the traditional and mutually beneficial relations between both countries in the field of fisheries, including relations based on the Agreement on Mutual Relations in the Field of Fisheries off the coast of Both Countries between the Government of Japan and the Government of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, signed at Tokyo on 7 December 1984, and the Agreement between the Government of Japan and the Government of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics Concerning Cooperation in the Field of Fisheries, signed in Moscow on 12 May 1985,
Based on the principles stipulated in the Tokyo Declaration on Japan-Russia Relations signed on 13 October 1993, and the Declaration on the Future Prospects of Relations in the Fields of Trade and Economy as well as Science and Technology between Japan and the Russian Federation,
Attaching importance to further promotion of cooperation for the conservation, rational utilization and reproduction of living resources (including cooperation for the protection of the marine environment),
Hoping to establish the patterns of the operations of a temporary nature carried out on a commercial basis by Japanese fishing vessels in the waters stipulated in this Agreement, and the conservation, rational utilization and reproduction of living resources in the said waters,
Have agreed as follows:
In accordance with the provisions of this Agreement, the Parties shall cooperate so that operations for living resources carried out by Japanese fishing vessels will be conducted in waters delineated by the geodetic connecting the points of latitude and longitude in the sequence, indicated in the annexed table, around the islands of Etorofu, Kunashiri, Shikotan and Habomai, and shall also cooperate for the conservation, rational utilization and reproduction of living resources in the said waters.
1. Operations for living resources carried out by Japanese fishing vessels in the waters stipulated in Article 1 above shall be implemented in accordance with a memorandum of understanding agreed each year between organizations from respective countries and confirmed through mutual notification by the Parties via the diplomatic channels.
2. Through the exchange of official diplomatic documents, the Parties shall mutually notify their recognition of arrangements between organizations from respective countries referred to in paragraph 1 above as the memorandum of understanding referred to in Paragraph 1 above.
3. The Government of Japan, in conjunction with fishing operations, preservation and reproduction of living resources, shall take measures within the scope of laws and regulations of Japan to ensure that payment is made in accordance with this Agreement and the memorandum of understanding referred to in paragraph 1 above by the Japanese organizations referred to in paragraph 1 above.
Where a mutual interest exists, the Parties shall endeavor to develop cooperation in the field of fisheries in general between the two countries, including exchange of information concerning trends in the market price of fishing products, and fishing product processing.
The Parties, where appropriate, shall encourage the development of mutual cooperation between organizations and corporations of both countries in the field of fisheries within the scope of their respective relevant laws and regulations of the respective countries.
The Parties shall hold consultations, at a time to be mutually agreed upon, in principle, once a year, on issues related to the implementation of this Agreement.
The Parties, where appropriate, shall promote contact between their relevant organizations, including the Fisheries Agency of the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries of Japan, the Maritime Safety Agency of the Ministry of Transport of Japan, the Ministry of Agriculture and Food of the Russian Federation, and the National Border Guard Agency of the Russian Federation.
Nothing in this Agreement, nor any activities conducted in accordance with this Agreement, nor any measures taken to implement this Agreement nor any activities or measures related there to shall be deemed as to prejudice the positions or views of any Party with respect to any issues of their mutual relations.
1. This Agreement shall enter into force on the date on which the Parties mutually notify via the diplomatic channels that they have completed their respective necessary domestic legal procedures for the Agreement's entry into force, and shall remain in force for a period of three years unless either Party notifies in writing to the other Party at least six months before the date on which it intends to terminate this Agreement.
2. This Agreement shall be automatically extended for further year unless, after a period of three years, from the date of its entry into force, either Party notifies in writing to the other Party of its intention to terminate this Agreement at least six months before the expiration of this Agreement.
DONE in duplicate in the Japanese and Russian languages, both equally authentic, 21 February 1998 in Moscow.
For the Government of JapanFor the Government of the Russian Federation