Assistance from Japan for the Earthquake in L'Aquila
July 8, 2009
- H.E. Mr. Taro Aso, Prime Minister of Japan, conveyed his sympathy to H.E. Mr. Silvio Berlusconi, Prime Minister of Italy, for the earthquake disaster in L'Aquilia. Prime Minister Aso announced a decision of the government of Japan to cooperate for the reconstruction of L'Aquila in the following three areas. This assistance is added on to donations and material assistance from citizens and private companies of Japan, a country also vulnerable to earthquakes and whose people understand the pain of the sufferers.
- (1) Financial cooperation for the construction of a gymnasium/sheltering facility utilizing Japan's quake-resistant technology.
- (2) Financial cooperation for the construction of a "Cardboard Concert Hall" by Mr. Shigeru Ban, a Japanese architect.
- (3) Dispatch of Japanese specialists in the field of restoration of cultural heritage sites.
- In response, Prime Minister Berlusconi expressed his deep gratitude for Japan's offer for cooperation.
Attachment: Assistance from Japan for the Earthquake in L'Aquila (Fact Sheet)
Back to Index