Summary of the 6th Round of Negotiations on the Japan-Vietnam Economic Partnership Agreement
March 11, 2008
- The 6th round of negotiations on the Japan-Vietnam Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) was held from March 4 (Tue) to 7 (Fri), 2008 in Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Participating in this round of the negotiations were: for the Japanese side, Mr. Jun Yokota, Representative of the Government of Japan for Japan-Vietnam and Japan-Switzerland Economic Partnership Agreements Negotiations and the Chief Negotiator for Japan, and officials from relevant ministries and agencies of Japan; and, for the Vietnamese side, Mr. Phan The Rue, former Vice Minister of Trade and the Chief Negotiator for Vietnam, and officials from relevant ministries of Vietnam.
- A summary of the discussion is as follows:
- (i) In the round, the overall negotiations were assessed in the plenary meeting at the chief-negotiator-level and such areas as market access in trade in goods, other issues relating to trade in goods (general rules, rules of origin), trade in services, intellectual property, competition, cooperation and improvement of business environment were discussed. Substantial progress was made in all areas during this round.
- (ii) With respect to market access of trade in goods, both sides discussed their goods of interest with regards to both industrial goods and agricultural, fishery and forestry goods, as well as internal circumstances.
- The 7th round of negotiations will be held in Tokyo at the beginning of April, 2008. The details of the schedule will be determined through diplomatic channels.
Back to Index