of the Fifth Mekong-Japan Foreign Ministers' Meeting
10 July 2012, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- The Fifth Mekong-Japan Foreign Ministers' Meeting was held in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, on 10 July 2012 back-to-back with the 45th ASEAN Ministerial Meeting. The Meeting was co-chaired by H.E. Dr. KAO Kim Hourn, Secretary of State of the Ministry Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the Kingdom of Cambodia and H. E. Mr. YAMAGUCHI Tsuyoshi, Parliamentary Senior Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan and participated by H.E. Mr. ALOUNKEO Kittikhoun, Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Lao People's Democratic Republic; H.E. U Min Lwin, Permanent Representative, Permanent Mission of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar to ASEAN, and Ambassador to Indonesia; H.E. Mr. SIHASAK Phuangketkeow, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand; and H.E. Mr. PHAM Quang Vinh, Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam.
- The Ministers had fruitful discussions on various issues of common interest, including the progress and the future direction of the Mekong-Japan cooperation and reaffirmed their determination to further strengthen the Mekong-Japan cooperation. The Ministers also exchanged views on regional and global issues of common concern.
- The Ministers highly appreciated the outcome of the 4th Mekong-Japan Summit held in Tokyo, 21 April, 2012, where the Leaders of Japan and Mekong region countries adopted "Tokyo Strategy 2012", which put forward a future vision for the Mekong region and new pillars of Mekong-Japan cooperation.
- Pursuant to instruction of leaders of Japan and the Mekong region countries of 4th Mekong-Japan Summit, the Ministers adopted the "Mekong-Japan Action Plan for Realization of the Tokyo Strategy 2012" which laid out the concrete actions and measures under the three pillars of Mekong-Japan cooperation: "Enhancing Mekong Connectivity (Pillar 1)", "Developing Together (Pillar 2)", and "Ensuring Human Security and Environmental Sustainability (Pillar 3)".
- The Ministers recognized that the Action Plan would contribute to future success of a "New Partnership for Common Flourishing Future" between the Mekong region countries and Japan and shared the view that the speedy and effective implementation of the Action Plan would bring about further development and prosperity in the Mekong Sub-region.
- The Ministers welcomed the outcome of the Lao PDR-Thailand-Viet Nam Vice Foreign Ministers' Meeting on the East-West Economic Corridor (eastern part) in Dong Ha, Quang Tri, Viet Nam on 17-18 May 2012 and recognized the recommendations put forwards by the meeting.
- The Ministers looked forward to convening the Sixth Mekong-Japan Foreign Ministers' Meeting in Brunei Darussalam in 2013 back to back with the 46th ASEAN Ministerial Meeting.
Back to Index