Attendance of Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi at the First Annual Conference of the Boao Forum for Asia
(Overview and Evaluation)
(1) In order to attend the First Annual Conference of the Boao Forum for Asia, Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi visited Boao, Hainan Island in the People's Republic of China from 11 April (Thurs) to 13 April (Sat).
(2) At the Boao Forum, Prime Minister Koizumi delivered a keynote speech and held a question and answer session on the morning of 12 April and in the afternoon of the same day, the Prime Minister held bilateral talks with Premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China Zhu Rongji, and with Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra of the Kingdom of Thailand.
(1) The Boao Forum for Asia aims to provide a platform for people in political, business and academic circles in Asia to meet together and engage in a free exchange of opinions on the strengthening of cooperative relations in economic areas within the region as well as between Asia and other regions. Japan assumes a great responsibility for the economic development of this region. Through its participation in the first conference of the Boao Forum, Japan was able to effectively demonstrate its ideas and stance on regional cooperation in Asia.
(2) At the conference, under the theme of "A New Century, New Challenges, A New Asia: Economic Development and Cooperation," Prime Minister Koizumi delivered a speech entitled "Asia in a New Century - Challenge and Opportunity," in which he presented his views on the prosperity and stability in Asia in the new century, and Japan's role and policies for it. In his speech, under the guiding principles of freedom, diversity and openness, Prime Minister Koizumi emphasized the importance of three specific challenges - reform, cooperation and the importance of conveying Asia's message to the world. Prime Minister Koizumi's speech was also meaningful in terms of having provided the opportunity to directly convey Japan's vision for the strengthening of cooperative economic relations in Asia to the representatives of political, business and academic circles from all over Asia.
(3) In addition, taking the opportunity of his attendance at the Boao Forum, Prime Minister Koizumi held bilateral talks with Premier Zhu of the People's Republic of China and Prime Minister Thaksin of the Kingdom of Thailand. The talks resulted in a fruitful exchange of views concerning the strengthening of bilateral cooperation and the regional situation. In talks with Premier Zhu, it was confirmed that seizing the opportunity of this year's 30th anniversary of the normalization of relations between Japan and China, cooperation should be strengthened in various areas, and in particular, in order to strengthen dialogue in the economic area, it was agreed to establish a "Japan-China Economic Partnership Consultation." Concerning the suspicious boats incident, both sides confirmed that this should be resolved through calm discussions. In addition, views were exchanged on the issue of North Korea, including the issue of the abduction of Japanese citizens. In talks with Prime Minister Thaksin, it was confirmed that Japan and Thailand would further strengthen their bilateral partnership towards the realization of an Initiative for Japan-ASEAN Comprehensive Economic Partnership.
Back to Index