"2nd ARF Workshop on International Cooperation on Maritime Domain Awareness (MDA)"
1. On February 20, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will hold the "2nd ARF Workshop on International Cooperation on Maritime Domain Awareness (MDA)" as an official event of the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) in Tokyo.
2. While many of ARF members have long coastal lines and the ocean plays a critical part of human lives, there are a number of challenges including piracy, maritime terrorism, illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing, environmental disruption and natural disaster, which should be addressed immediately.
3. To address these challenges, it is important to timely grasp accurate information on various incidents in a wide area and share it with those concerned to enable a prompt response. As it is impossible for a single country to collect sufficient information in a comprehensive manner, it is required to build an international information-sharing network.
4. In this workshop, which will be co-chaired by Japan and Viet Nam, ARF members will discuss how to address maritime challenges by utilizing MDA capabilities and enhancing international cooperation on MDA.
5. Officials from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Coast Guard, Navy as well as experts from ARF members will participate in this workshop.